Monday, January 11, 2010

Orange breakfast scones.....


Orange Breakfast scones.....

I don't know about you but I think January is one of the gloomiest months of the year? It always seems so drab and cold after all the holiday decorations have been taken down. However, I've learned through the years that it really doesn't have to be that way. How about adding a little comfort and whimsy to those dark and snowy days. My husband just loves it when I surprise him by making scones. Scones are very easy to make and they are delicious served warm with a hot cup of tea or coffee. Some of them are packed with fruit and they have the consistancy and taste of a biscuit cookie. I always like to to decorate my tea tray according to the season or holiday.


ORANGE BREAKFAST SCONES
(A recipe from Land o'Lakes Inc.)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
1/3 cup Land O Lakes Butter
1/2 cup Mandarin orange segments, chopped
1/2 cup sweetiened dried cranberries, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
2 tablespoons orange juice or Mandarin orange liquid
1 tablespoon sugar to sprinkle on top

Heat oven to 400 degress. Combine flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and orange peel in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles cource crumbs. Stir in Mandarin oranges and cranberries.

Combine sour cream, egg, and orange juice in a small bowl. Beat with wire whisk until smooth. Stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until well mixed.
Spread into a greased 9-inch cake pan. Sprinkle with one tablespoon sugar.
Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and scone is slightly browned. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into wedges.

I usually bake my scones in a glass pie dish. Instead of sprinkling the scone with sugar, you could instead, make a sugar glaze which would be equally delcious.

One day last year I was visiting my dear friend Judy at htp://justalittlesomethingforyou.blogspot.com/ She had written a wonderful post where she had cut tiny hearts out of butter. I thought they looked so pretty and delicate. I immediately went out and found some miniture cookie cutters of my own. For Christmas one of my tea tables featured the little angels shown above. Thank you Judy :>)


Of course Charli always loves these little scone and tea breaks we have. She is usually curled up by the fire on one of her fleece blankets just waiting for a little crumpet or two to come her way.
I hope all of you have a wonderful day!
If you are located in one of our snowy states I hope you are staying warm ♥
With warmest regards, Carol








15 comments:

Pasquy said...

What a wonderful breakfast!!! congratulations!!! it's so lovely and sounds very good!!!! Pasquy

Madeline's Album said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. Have a great day and stay warm yourself. Madeline

Wanda said...

Carol...you have inspired me...I haven't made scones for awhile...I use to make cranberry, orange chocolate chip ones for my grandchildren. I will try your recipe, am going to copy, paste and print! Thank you! I believe in treating yourself special, like you would a guest. You seem to live that way too!

The Muse said...

Carol you are so in tune with how I feel...I have become a bit distraught over my lovely Christmas treasures put away...the Cottage seems empty...

I am going to try and play house (moving furniture etc), and see what I can do...in the mean time..I shall pass this recipe on to my beloved...

PS are those angel shaped butter pats?

:) Love that.

♥ Kathy said...

that looks soooo good Carol!!

JG said...

A Cranberry and Orange Scone! Oh, it looks so good! I must bake these - Thanks for the recipe.

The snowmen pats of Butter are so cute!

It is chilly here in Western MA, too.

Eileen said...

These look and sound delicious! Ray would love them with the oranges and the cranberries! I'll make them this weekend.
I love the idea of the butter shapes! So cute!

Has Charli made up with your husband yet? I laugh every time I think about her acting bratty with him!

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Carol!
All the best,
Eileen

Micki said...

Those scones look yummy..Thanks for the recipe!
Micki

Vee said...

What a great idea for serving the butter and ohhhhh, those scones look marvelous! Thanks for including the recipe as I will certainly give these a try. Maybe today!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

HOW DID I MISS THIS! Oh this looks so good. I love orange anything and my mom used to make the most delicious orange cake with buttercream frosting, way back in the early 60s when moms stayed home....ah, Carol this was a treat! How is that Charli girl? How are you? Bisous, Anita

SmilingSally said...

The little butter angels "made" it so charming!

Rose said...

Oh those scones look so wonderfully delicious! I will have to try them sometime soon! Looks like a great start to a cold winter morning!

Brenda Eason said...

Oh that looks so good. I just love scones. I hate our tearoom shut down.
I love your plating also.

YourTeaLife said...

Thank you so much for the lovely angel butter cutouts. What a delightful idea. I have many cookie cutters that I could use for this.

prashant said...

it's so lovely and sounds very good!!

Work from home

Related Posts with Thumbnails