Tuesday, February 16, 2010

'An 'American Song Book ' Tea.....


An 'American Song Book' Tea.....

Recently my brother, sister-in-law, sister, brother-in-law, husband, and myself had the distinct pleasure of attending a tea at the historical village in our area. In addition to a quaint little tea, we had the opportunity to be entertained by members of the Michigan Opera House touring company who put on a marvelous performance entitled 'The American Song Book.' We heard a little ragtime, vaudeville, and some wonderful old crooning music complete with trivia about the era in which the song was written, tidbits about the composers, and interesting facts related to the songs. The lady and gentleman who gave us the delightful cabaret-style performance were outstanding to say the least and received standing ovations. With loving jesters and adulation's they were quite convincing as they sang song after song while we listened in awe. There was much joy, many smiles, and lot's of laughter as everyone shared stories and reminisced. There was even audience participation during the actual songs at times.


The concert was held in the old church on the village grounds which is known for it's wonderful acoustics.




We heard songs from composers like Dorothy Fields, Rogers and Hammerstein, Ira and George Gershwin.


















Do you remember songs like 'Moon River', 'Someone to Watch Over Me', 'On The Sunny Side Of The Street', 'Swanee', 'I'm in the Mood Fro Love', 'I've Got Rhythm', 'Hey Big Spender' or 'I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm'? Well, those were just some of the songs we heard that day. If you would like to take a walk down memory lane I found this wonderful site you can visit. It's a Gershwin site and it has a jukebox where you can hear some of that wonderful old music yourself. Ahh... Those were the days..... These types of songs have always been favorites of mine.
Do you remember watching all of those old Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Ginger Roger movies? They were the best weren't they?


We had a wonderful time. I still can't believe I actually talked my hubby, brother, and brother-in-law into coming to the tea. They said they really enjoyed the entire experience and would love to go back to the village again.

And where was Charli while we were at the village? She was home alone and not to happy about it. However, I made it up to her. She loves to listen to music and she has enjoyed listening to the tunes on the jukebox at the Gershwin site as well.
How about you? What kinds of music do you enjoy? I would love to hear from you.
I hope you have a beautiful day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Rose said...

Carol, thank you for the walk down memory lane! I remember many of thoses songs from my childhood, as that is what my parents listened to! My mom used to play piano, and organ. She had a lot of old sheet music. I dabbled myself with a Hammond I aquired for little money. Now it sits in my living room and collects things other than dust, but no longer works. I tried to give it away, without much success. I'd mentioned it to my daughter that I was thinking of cutting it in pieces and putting it to the curb. Well, sentimentality grabbed her and she said she would take it, and my son-in-law said no way was I putting it in the garbage. He thinks he can fix it. Of course it is still sitting here awaiting them to take it home. I hope it does not wait till the day I am no longer here for that transition! :-) I guess I just need to remind them. But again, I love the music from the era you were talking about. As I'm entering my senior years, the memories are bittersweet. But now I can go back in time by clicking on the site you provided. Thank you so much!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks for the post, Carol!

I wanted to drop by and visit before I'm computerless for a bit. Sending you and Charli warm hugs...

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Muse said...

come see me...
www.myladydujour.com
or www.adivashammer.com
when you have time, i'll put the tea kettle on!

and music? i will bring out my collection of vinyl lps...we can listen to a range of classical to jazz...to instrumental to enya and beyond....


loved reading about your event...what fun, to be sure!

(poor charli...LOL)

Eileen said...

Oh I love that music too! And 'Moon River' is one of my all time favorites!
My Dad was a big fan of the Big Bands! And I love that music too! And I'm crazy about all the songs from the musicals!
I really like most music.

Thank you, Carol, for your email, your Valentine wishes, and for your very kind comments to me on my post about my Mom. I appreciate your support and friendship so much.

I am still without a computer, so I won't be blogging until they can find out what is wrong. I use my husband's PC, but it is not the same, I feel like a fish out of water here!

Happy Fat Tuesday!
Love to you,
Eileen

Micki said...

It brought back a lot of memories. I really enjoyed the post!
Micki

Just a little something from Judy said...

As I read down through this post so many memories came back to me. Sometimes the old historic churches do have the best acoustics. I just know I would have enjoyed this tea. My husband and I like to listen to different kinds of music. We like the oldies music from the 50s and the 60s. We like country music, big band music, we like Kenny G and gospel music. What a fun evening for the four of you. I am going to visit the
website you shared with us when my husband comes home.

GrandmaK said...

Oh what a grand time you had! Just the other day on TCM the movie Alexander's Ragtime Band was shown!!! It was fun too! Wishing you well! Cathy

Madeline's Album said...

I just wish I could have been there with you. I remember all the songs you mentioned. I thoroughly love big bands, songs from the old musical movies. I love your new header and the picture of Charli on the side bar in her Irish outfit so cute. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Wanda said...

I appreciate most music and can never narrow my choices down to a favorite song. Your blog looks very nice Carol, makes me think spring!

♥ Kathy said...

How awesome that you got to do that Carol! I love just about ALL music and don't go even one day without some kind of music playing.

Judi said...

Hi Carol
First of all Charli looks simply adorable all decked out for St. Paddy's day...so cute. I hope he's feeling better.

It sounds like you attended a fabulous presentation. Isn't that wonderful! So many memories and the movies look great too. I do remember watching olden movies and loving them. I really enjoy them these days when they come on TV.

have a lovely evening..
*hugs*
Judi

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Carol, what a fun event this must have been! I love Gershwin and all the romantic movies that feature Fred, Ginger and all those old-time tunes. I think I was born in the wrong era!!!

Blessings to you and Charli, Anita

Related Posts with Thumbnails