Sunday, February 21, 2010

How to catch a leprechaun......


How to catch a Leprechaun...

Recently my hubby and I helped our grandson Ryan to build a Leprechaun trap. Yes, that's right, a Leprechaun trap! We had so much fun! We heard about them last year on some of the blogs and thought it would be a great project to try. Now I've never heard of a Leprechaun being caught before but who knows. This just might be the year that it happens.

If you are interested in building a trap with your special little someone there are tons of 'how to' information available on the Internet.
In our case this is what we did. First we went on the Internet to find out all we could about these nasty and very tricky little characters. Then we discussed what would be the best way to capture one. Since the Leprechaun is an Irish legend Ryan decided to make his trap as green as possible. He made a list of all of the things that he thought would attract a Leprechaun and then we helped him to incorporate them into the trap. Everyone knows how much Leprechauns like gold so Ryan decided to use gold glitter on his stairs. His net also has flecks of gold running through it. I was fortunate enough to have found that material a head of time. Ryan made a rainbow and also a sign to help the Leprechaun know which way he is supposed to go. He made a path out of shamrocks for the Leprechaun to follow and then put some artificial grass in the bottom of the box. We think he did a very good job!












He even put a treasure chest in the bottom of the box. A sure way to lure a Leprechaun in don't you think?












The day before Saint Patrick's Day my hubby and I will deliver the trap to Ryan's house. Who knows what he will find inside of it on Saint Patrick's Day?
Our little guy is growing up so fast. We are truly blessed to have these special moments with him.
Charli loves project days too because any time spent with Ryan is a very happy day for her.
It's hard to believe that Saint Patrick's Day is right around the corner. Do you celebrate Saint Patrick's Day in your home? I would love to hear from you.
It's been snowing here for the last several hours. It's very pretty and it looks like we already have an inch or two of accumulation.
I hope all of you have a wonderful day ♥
Happy Monday everyone!
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Elise said...

adorable idea !

MARIA said...

Really adorable idea!

Saint Patrick's Day is celebrating in Poland also.
In many clubs you can drink green beer and listen to Irish music.
Of course we also celebrate saint Patric's Day in church.

Thank you for beautiful, green post!

Knitty said...

I love this idea and will file it away for a few year's from now. Your blog is always a good read. :)

Wanda said...

Hi Carol, I've made my share of leprechaun traps. We spray painted small pebbles with gold paint and created a small pot of gold. Your trap looks extremely nice!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

How did I miss this fun post yesterday? Oh Carol, I love Irish and what a cute trap!!!! Thank you also dear one for indulging my follies....the Dutch Masters are marvelous, and so are you for following me and my frivolous foibles!!!! Love to you, you wonderful lady. Bisous, Anita

Vee said...

How delightfully magical. I bet your grandson won't forget this project ever. Hope that you'll tell us the rest of the story!

Just a little something from Judy said...

A great idea for my grandchildren. I think maybe I must wait a year or so as they are so young. How fortunate Ryan is to have you both to help him create this trap. Thanks for the idea. Your blog looks so festive in it's green.

Madeline's Album said...

What a cute idea. I wish my younger grandchildren were here instead of Washington state so I could do thing like this with them. Thank you for your last visit to by blog and your nice comment. After the nice weather we had it is turning colder and we did have rain last night. Enjoy the snow and have a great and blessed evening. Madeline

♥ Kathy said...

How totally sweet Carol!! My daughter's grandparents "trapped" the Easter Bunny one year...we had Hopper for almost 12 years :)

Eileen said...

Carol, you always give me such wonderful ideas to do with Jayden, thank you! Maybe we'll try it this weekend! It sounds like such fun!

This year on St. Patrick's Day a friend of mine and I are going to the Riverdance Farewell performance at Radio City Music Hall! We're both very excited about it! She and I have already been to so many performances and everyone thinks we are nuts but we can't get enough of it! It's a matinee performance so my husband is taking off work to make sure he's here for Jayden, and my friend Barbara and I will stay in the city and have an early dinner, so I'll be doing corned beef and cabbage the weekend before for my family. But we'll do some kind of little celebration on St. Patrick's day too after I get back home.

Also, many thanks, Carol, for your kind words to me on my post about my Mom, the support of you wonderful women sustains me. These are a bad few months for me with her passing in February and her birthday in March, but she always loved St. Patrick's Day and all things Irish (even though she was also part German)!

I'm not back to blogging yet, Ray is going to try and have me up and running this weekend, so maybe next week.

Love to you,
Eileen

Rose said...

This is so cute! I have a tendency to associate St. Patrick's Day with snowstorms as many many moons ago, my parents were visiting me in Western NY and they had to drive home to PA in one of the worst snowstorms ever! When they arrived at the entrance to the road they lived on at the time, my dad had to leave my mom in the car, walk about 3/4 mile down the road in deep snow to get their tractor to come back and get her, leaving the car there till they could get it the next day(?). But we always celebrated St. Pat's Day when I was a kid, nothing special, but we did celebrate. I think mom may have made mutton stew or something. So I do little decorations for myself now. A flower arrangement and a door sign. Nothing big, but just a little bit for the little bit of Irish in me.

daylily777 said...

I usually help my granddaughter build one . This one is awesome !
Blessings,
~Myrna

Related Posts with Thumbnails