Friday, February 5, 2010

National 'Wear Red Day' for women....



LET'S GO RED!...
Today is National Heart Disease Awareness Day for Women....


The first Friday of February every year is designated as National 'Wear Red Day' to help gain support and raise awareness of heart disease in women.
Did you know that one out of every four women will die from heart disease? Coronary heart disease remains the number one killer of women. To learn more about heart disease and risk factors just click here:
To learn more about National Wear Red Day click here: here:

Heart and Vascular Health and Prevention
Seven ways to a Healthier you

1. Add cocoa to your coffee. It's a rich source of plant chemicals called flavanois, which lowers blood pressure and improves heart health.

2. Get your groove on. Dancing is an exercise you can do anywhere-from the ballroom to your living room. You'll burn calories, reduce stress and strengthen your muscles and bones while you're at it! (Remember to check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program)

3. Eat at least two meatless dinners each week.

4. Snack on frozen berries Refreshing and low in calories, berries are a great source of phytonutrients-substances that protest us from free radical damage.

5. Laugh. It's an effective way to beat stress, which unmanaged, can lead to high blood pressure, higher cholesterol and a build up of plaque in your arteries. Goof off with your children or watch some ridiculous You Tube clips. It's contagious!

6. Turn in shamelessly early. Poor sleep has been linked with high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, heart failure and heart attack- so don't fight it. Go ahead and turn in!

7. Reward yourself. For each positive behavior you implement this year-big or small-reward yourself once you reach your goal! Choose healthy awards. Download some new music, get a message, or meet a friend for a movie.
Miller family Heart and Vascular Institute
Heart and Vascular Heath and Prevention
-Cleveland Clinic-
I hope all of you found the above tips from the Cleveland Clinic helpful. Don't forget to wear red today! Please remind all of your loved ones and girl friends that it's time for a heart smart check up ♥
For those of you who have inquired about Charli, thank you so much! I'm happy to report that she is doing fine. I took her over to meet the new groomer yesterday and she seemed to like her very much. Hopefully her next grooming experience will be a positive one. Right now she is curled up in the chair here in my office. I can almost hear her saying, "Turn out the lights Grandma. Can't you see I'm trying to sleep" :>)
I hope all of you have a happy and heart healthy day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

8 comments:

Vee said...

I've got a red coat! Oh I like two of those ideas right off...cocoa in the coffee and turning in early. Hope you're having a great day, Carol!

Wanda said...

I do 6 out of the 7...haven't danced lately, often did when grandkids were small, but I do walk a lot now!

JG said...

I like the "Laugh" advice! Thanks for all of the tips.

Glad Charli met the new groomer, first.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Thank you dearest Carol for this info! I have been adding cocoa to my vanilla yogurt in the morning in which I add 10 almonds, 1 small box of raisins, 1 cup of frozen blueberries and some raw oatmeal. IT IS YUMMY! And I try to do all the other stuff as well! Take care and I hope that Charli is well. Anita

Ruthie said...

Great post - good ideas. I wore red today!

MARIA said...

God Morning dear Carol!
I had a heart attack about 40 years ago. I try to take care.
I have to dance more...

Thank you for great advices!

May a blessed and relaxing weekend my dear friend!

The Muse said...

I adore red...!
and as much I love it...I have very few red things..
MMM
Ok, Let's go shopping...!!

We can walk, talk and shop...for the hearts of women everywhere!

Rose said...

What a wonderful post! I wore red last friday and I didn't even realize the connection! Good list of preventatives too. Now I won't feel so guilty when I have an occasional cocoa or cafe mocha!! Love the berries idea too. Knee prevents me from dancing, but trying to get back into walking mode even though for winter the treadmill is dreadfully boring. The other morning I managed to get 15 min. walk on it before church and since nothing worth watching on tv, I "made a joyful noise (singing) unto the Lord"!

Related Posts with Thumbnails