Monday, February 8, 2010

Oh dear!.... Look what happened to my cake!....


Oh dear!... Look what happened to my cake!....

For some reason I have not been having much luck in the creative arts department of late. First I made a mess out of the alligator I was going to give my hubby for Valentine's Day. Luckily though, I just finished making another Valentine's Day card for him, and I must say, it turned out rather well. He is going to be so surprised! I can't wait to give it to him. I wonder if he's finished making mine yet?

Recently I decided it might be fun to bake a Valentine's Day cake for my family so I got out all of my baking supplies and went to work. I made a cherry chip cake, poked holes in it, and drizzled cherry Jell-O inside. So far so good right? Well, that's when I discovered I didn't have enough frosting to finish the cake. I decided to use cookie decorating icing for the border instead of running out to the store. Big mistake! As you can see the frosting melted down the sides of the cake and would not hold a shape when I used my 'Fun Gun' decorating kit. I also messed up the writing on the top of the cake so my hubby came to the rescue and tried to doctor it up for me. By this time I was ready to toss the whole thing in the garbage but my hubby added the cinnamon hearts and tried to convince me that it had all turned out beautifully. Ha!

I have been blessed with the best family in the whole world because they all told me how nice it looked even though I knew the truth LOL
I have to admit, that even though it was decorated rather silly, it did taste good.
Charli seemed to like it. She loves frosting and even came back for seconds minus the cinnamon hearts of course :>)

I hope all of you are having a fun week getting ready for Saint Valentine's Day ♥

With warmest regards, Carol

21 comments:

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Your cake looks beautiful. It's the thought that counts and I'm sure it's delicious!!! I ran out of frosting too the other day for my son's cupcakes for his birthday celebration with my family. So I made homemade frosting. Not a good thing for kids who are use to the store bought kind!!! Enjoy!

Queenmothermamaw said...

Dear Carol we know, thank goodness, that our family will love what we fix for them. I like things home madey looking, not those perfect boughten kind. (Silly words used on purpose.) My art is always home madey looking and that is the way I and my family like it. Blessings to your wonderful family.
QMM

Blessings each day said...

Oh Carol, don't worry about your wonderful cake...it had the most important ingredient which is love!

How sweet that your hubby even tried tio help, making it even more of a love cake!!

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Vee said...

Are you kidding me? It looks wonderful all wonky like that as if you designed it to be that way! I'd eat the whole thing given half a chance. :D

Shelia said...

Oh, poor Carol, you're too hard on yourself! I love the looks of your cake and what a sweet hubby to lend a hand! I hope little fuzzy face is all well now.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I think that cake is absolutely adorable, Carol! It's cute as can be, and they are gonna love it!

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Muse said...

the cake leaned left...
the cake leaned right...
the icing it seemed...
was not in sight...
she fretted so...
and was in distress...
but then came her love...
with his heart...
and she was blessed.

The cake is my eyes ... gorgeous!

The Muse said...

LOL LOL LOL
ok too many meds LOL

last line should have read...

The cake, in my eyes...is gorgeous!
LOL

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Carol! If it tasted good, then that's what your husband will remember! It gets eaten up anyway! However, it is beautiful and little Charli had her bite, so all is well!

Bisous Carol!

Brenda Eason said...

I bet it was yummy! They say those kind are. Wish I could taste then I tell you =)
That is a sweet family.

Madeline's Album said...

I think your cake looks wonderful, and I know it was delicious. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

Wanda said...

The cake is perfectly fine Carol, it may not be exactly what you had in mind, but just say it's a comical cartoon cake...works for me everytime!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I like things that are not perfect. So few things in this life are perfect. You made the best of the situation that you found yourself in. I think the cake looks great, and I know it will be delicious. Afterall, it is the loving, kind thought on your part that is a far more important ingredient in Valentine's Day. Great post!

LDH said...

I was just leaving a comment on Lois's blog and guess what caught my attention? Your little Charli! So I had to come by for a visit.

I think your cake is just lovely! I could show you some real disasters from my kitchen!

You have a very sweet place here and I have enjoyed visiting!

Kindly, ldh

Jerelene said...

I think your cake looked lovely!!
I LOVE red hots :)
Hope Charli is completely better now!! She is such a doll!
It's snowing like crazy here tonight. I took the dogs out for the last time tonight and mickey and teddy were chasing each other around in the snow...mickey is starting to get used to it a little now...we've been having quite a bit of here..so he's learning to tolerate it :)
Love all the pretties on your page...
Love and hugs...Jerelene

Barb said...

Hi Carol,
I think your cake is beautiful. You took the time to make it and I know your family appreciated that.
The alligator is very cute too!

I hope Charli is doing much better by this time. Poor little dear!
Thank you for your sweet words about J.W. God has Him in the palm of His hand.

big hugs,
Barb

Micki said...

The cake is lovely and I am sure it will be so tasty. I would have loved a slice!
Micki

Shelley said...

I think your cake is so festive and pretty! I would definitely eat a slice or 2! Of course I would share a bite w/ dear Charli....

JG said...

That is one cute little Valentine Cake! Your family had a special treat - a cake that you made and you cannot beat that! It must have tasted great!

Rose said...

Oh Carol! That frosting dripping and looking all gooey just made my mouth water!!! It looks sooo yummy!!

Eileen said...

I think your cake looks very pretty and it has inspired me!
I'm not feeling too well, but if I feel better by Saturday I'll bake one too!
I love all your pretty pink kitchen ware!

And thank you so much, Carol for you nice email.
Love to you,
Eileen

Related Posts with Thumbnails