Friday, February 19, 2010

Temple Grandin......



Temple Grandin.....


Recently I had the opportunity to see the
movie 'Temple Grandin' now playing on HBO. This movie is simply outstanding and I have been recommending it to everyone I know. The movie is about
Temple Grandin and her struggle to over come Autism.

Temple Grandin was born in 1947, and by the age of four, still had required no verbal skills. Her only means of communication was humming, peeping, and screaming out of frustration. A family physician made the diagnosis of Autism. The physician told her mother that Grandin would remain low functioning. His recommendation was to institutionalize. Her mother refused to accept the physicians recommendations, and instead, took Grandin to several neurologists. She began working with Grandin on the development of behavioral and verbal skills. She also provided Grandin with some very unique and educational experiences.

Grandin is now a professor at the University of Colorado. She has received her doctorate degree in animal science. Her journey has been absolutely incredible. Today Grandin lectures on Autism and is the author of a collection of books on the subject. There are many valuable lessons to be learned from this movie. One lesson being not to give up on others just because they seem some what different than ourselves. I walked away from this movie with a much better understanding of the challenges children with Autism and their care givers face.

"You have got to keep autistic children engaged with the world. You cannot let them tune out"
-Temple Grandin-

http://www.templegrandin.com/templehome.html
http://www.templegrandin.com/templegrandinart.html

Have you had an opportunity to see this movie? If so, I would love to hear from you.
I hope all of you have a lovely and blessed day ♥
It's a beautiful sunny day here and Charli is sprawled out on the bay window ledge in our living room. She wants to make sure she doesn't miss anything that just might happen on our street.
With warmest regards, Carol

11 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

I haven't seen it Carol..Happy Friday ♥

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I would love to watch this movie. I will check our local listings and see if it is still playing on HBO. I love to watch a good movie on Friday nite so I hope I can get it. Thank you! And hope you have a fabulous weekend.

Miss Jean said...

I haven't seen it but will go right down and set the TIVO to record it. Thanks for the heads up.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

You had sent me a sweet message of encouragement after my Dad's surgery and for some reason it was sent to my junk mail -- I just found it and wanted to thank you so much. Dad had a set-back with pneumonia - he was discharged before he should have been (in my opinion) -- Thanks so much.

Vee said...

Thank you, Carol. This information comes at a timely point for my family. I will be looking for more information on this person. It sounds like a great movie and an inspiring story.

The Muse said...

I have not yet seen it, but from your review...I certainly want to!

We so need to open our hearts and minds to children, and give them every possible chance...!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh my dear Carol, this was incredibly inspiring. I must see this movie when it comes out on DVD as we do not have HBO.

I have encountered many students with Asbergers, and a lot depends on the degree on the "spectrum", but some of them are just a delight.

Thank you for always bringing important matters in such a heartfelt way. I SEE CHARLI ON THE SIDEBAR are spiffed up to celebrate St. Pattie's day!

Bisous to you both, Anita

Madeline's Album said...

I have not seen the movie but it does sound like a good one. We do not get HBO but hopefully it will come on some channel we do get in the near future. Have a blessed day and weekend. Madeline

Knitty said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll ask one of my friends who have HBO to record it for me.

Michael said...

I've never heard of this movie, but I will keep an eye out for it now thanks to you!

MARIA said...

What an amazing story of Dr. Temple Grandin.
I didn't know about her.
I have to read her book in polish.
Thank you for sharing, it is inspiring!

Related Posts with Thumbnails