Monday, March 8, 2010

Irish Soda Bread (Spotted Dog)



Irish Soda Bread (Spotted Dog)

For those of you who are new to my blog I thought I would share my recipe for Irish Soda Bread. Actually it's not my recipe though. Instead, it comes courtesy of Mrs. Biddy Gahan, from Cahir, Co. Tipperary, Ireland. It is the recipe that I have been using for many years now. The texture of the bread is more like a scone and it has become very popular in my family. I thought instead of typing out the recipe this year I would share with you the way I usually transport it. I've made special gift cards and dressed up recipes that I save in the document section on my computer so they are readily available when I want to share a recipe or give a gift. That way all I have to do is print what ever I choose onto card or stock paper, cut it out, and I'm ready to go.


The darkened area on this gift card is where I would punch a hole to attach it to a bag or box.




I like to include a recipe if I am giving a gift of food to someone who I know doesn't already have it. If you would like the recipe for my soda bread all you have to do is click on this recipe to enlarge it. You can also zoom it if you would like it even larger.













When making soda bread sometimes I will also attach a green knife to the bag depending upon where my bread is going. This is a great idea if you are delivering bread to an office, school, or hospital where a knife might not be readily available. I purchase most of my green bags at the dollar store where they are very reasonably priced. I like to use some sort of pretty ribbon to attach everything to the bag. And there you have it. I wish I could make up a little bag for all of you ♥

If you decide to make Irish soda bread for your family, or prehaps a special friend, the most important thing to remember, as with any Irish bread, is to make the sign of the cross with a knife over the bread to bless it. Then poke four holes in the bread to let the fairies out. That way your bread will be perfect each and every time you make it :>)

I hope all of you have a lovely and blessed day ♥

"What's that Charli?" Oh Charli says not to give your little pooch any raisins as they are very toxic but a tiny smidgen of the dough would be greatly appreciated. "Charli you are just to much but you are so right about the raisins."

With warmest regards, Carol

14 comments:

Vee said...

I love Irish soda bread and I love scones so this will be great, I'm sure. Didn't know about all the extra touches required in baking it, though. That bit about letting the fairies out should come in handy. Thanks for the lovely gift idea and for the gift itself.

JG said...

You have shared one very tasty bread, Carol! Quite often during the year I bake this yummy raisin filled treat. (My gas oven requires a bit extra baking time.) I already have the Buttermilk. :) Thank you for sharing it, again, so others may also enjoy it! It's delicious!

Judy

♥ Kathy said...

Charli is so sweet to look out for the other dogs :) Happy Monday Carol ♥

Knitty said...

Thank you for the recipe. I didn't realize raisins were bad for dogs, so thank Charli for me too. ;)

Elise said...

I don't know where you find the time... wonderful !

Wanda said...

Thanks for the recipe Carol, the gift card is a wonderful idea. You are such a crafty and imaginative person. Such great ideas you have. Your family is lucky!

Pug1 said...

I'm going to try this recipe!!!! CHEERS! Michele

Rose said...

The soda bread looks and sounds wonderful!! I love scones! What a lovely idea for a gift!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'd love to try that, Carol! YUM!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh sweet Carol and Charli,

You two are such good friends! Thank you for coming to see me and Ruben celebrate our 28th anniversary, thank you so very much. I love Irish soda bread! And the way you decorate and deliver it Carol, is so beautiful! And, I did not know that raisins are toxic for our pups; maybe Charli can give us a list of things that could harm our little friends! I would have never known that! I think Charli should have a blog of her own where she does ALL the talking; she can give us ignoramuses some tips!!!!

Love and peace to you all, Anita

Rattus Scribus said...

Hi Carol & Charli. Anita's husband here. So good to meet you at last, as Anita has several times mentioned your blog (that is to say you and Charli) to me, usually while laughing about some recent Charli picture or antic.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and wishing Anita and I happy anniversary.

You two have a wonderful day.

Ruben

Just a little something from Judy said...

Last year for the first time I tasted soda bread. I thought it was delicious. Now, thanks to you I can make it. So kind of you to share the recipe and the attractive ways to give this bead. Thank you!
I also was not aware about the raisins not being good for dogs. Great nugget of info.

MARIA said...

I like to bake bread and I have a request - if I could post this recipe on my site with your link?
Cool ideas for gifts to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
In Poland we celebrate St.Patric's Day.

I love your green festival place.
Amazing!

skippinginthemeadow said...

ohhh, i do like all the green irish goodness on your blog, it looks wonderful!
my paternal grandmother's family were irish, she was a fiesty red-head :o)

love and warm irish hugs to you and Charli xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails