Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sugar cookies wearing the green!......



Sugar cookies wearing the green!

It's almost Saint Patrick's Day and time
to add a little Irish cheer to our homes.
Spring is coming and the birds are singing ♥
Remember you don't have to be Irish to enjoy
the day. I wish all of you could come over for some cookies and tea. For those of you who love to party, there is a Saint Patrick's Day party going on right here in blogland on the 13th. All of the information is on my sidebar. I hope to see you there.
Sugar cookies
This recipe comes courtesy of my 'woman's Day' magazine. The recipe was featured as an Easter Sugar cookie and called egg-cellent sugar cookies. Well instead of Easter cookie cutters I used shamrocks and leprechaun hats. Thus they became my very own lepre-sham cookies :>)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter,
softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tabsp grated lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla
Beat butter, sugar, and salt with mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to medium and add egg. Beat until combined. Beat in corn syrup, lemon zest, and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add flour in two parts. Devide the dough into two parts. Shape each part into a disk and wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate one hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough between two sheets of wax paper to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes and transfer to a cookie sheet. Bake approximately 12 minutes or until cookies are golden in color. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

These days sugar cookies are so easy to make! I used the Betty Crocker gel and cookie frosting. No mess. No fuss. I thought the colors were perfect shades of green. After I finished frosting the shamrocks I just added some green sugar springles.


Do you know what the best part of making these cookies was? When I packed them up and dropped some off for Ryan and Michael, our son told me that he remembered me baking these shamrocks and leprechaun hats when he was a little boy :>)
"Charli did you have something to say?"
"Well I just wanted to say I don't think it's fair that dogs have to wait in the car!"
"Charli for goodness sakes I was only in the house a second. Come on. I'll give you a treat. You know you want one don't you? Charli look at me. You know your being difficult."
I hope all of you have a bright and sunny day!
My dear bloggy friend Madeline has been very ill, and I just want to say, Madeline I hope your feeling better today. You are in my thoughts and prayers ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

15 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Carol,
I just love your panache! You and Charli know how to celebrate your heritage and these cookies remind me so much of my dear mom who could make the average sugar cookie a brand new experience, like you, for each holiday of the year. HAVE A BLESSED DAY! Anita

Rose said...

MMMM,I just love seeing the pictures of the foods you make! You make my mouth water! :-) I think that's the first time I've seen any St.Patrick's Day cookies! The sure are festive! I have a wee bit of Irish in me along with a few others in the mix. I guess that makes me an "American". Blessings to you and yours!

Sue said...

I love your theme parties. Wish we could drop by.

♥ Kathy said...

Those look so yummy and so pretty Carol! And hush Charli..it was only a second :) Hope you're having a wonderful day ♥

The Muse said...

I'll bring the ale!
oh...I mean milk...milk...
LOL LOL :)

Those look sooooo GOOD :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

I wish I would have had some of your cookies for my dinner last evening. They look so festive. What a kind gesture on your part to drop some off for your family. I bet you are a wonderful grandma.

Thanks for this easy sounding sugar cookie recipe, and for all the green.

Vee said...

Hmmmm, they look marvelous and I'm sure that if anyone had ever baked them with you, he'd certainly remember. Charli is over her petulance after a cookie, I hope.

Micki said...

Love the cookies...You really are getting into the spirit of St. Paddy's Day.
Micki

Eileen said...

Great cookies!
I'm having the family over on Sunday for corned beef & cabbage, and if I have time tomorrow I'll try to make a batch of those cookies, thanks for the recipe!

And thank you for the post on the Leprechaun trap, Ray, myself, Jayden, & Mia made one a few weekends ago, and every few days the Leprechaun leaves a little something for them! They were very cute decorating it with shamrock stickers, and they put green grass (paper) on the bottom of the box and also put in packages of green marshmallow peeps, green snowball cupcakes, and green frog marshmallows saying that they thought Leprechauns would like green food!
It's been lots of fun! Thanks for the great idea!
Love to you,
Eileen
PS ~ In case I don't get back here, have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

Eileen said...

'Just read your last post about Facebook, and yes, I have similar problems with privacy and the wishes of family members. I no longer post too much on Facebook, other than to play Farmville for fear of 'revealing too much' of something someone might find unacceptable. And when I first started blogging I had a big 'to-do' with my oldest son, he was so upset that I blogged about his birthday in a post. And just recently I've had complaints about mentioning birthdays, about not mentioning birthdays, that I put the family in a bad light, that I put the family in too good of a light, the complaints/criticisms are so contradictory and never-ending!
It takes a lot of the fun out of blogging.
It's a fine line to walk, you don't want to hurt anyone, and you do want to respect their privacy and their wishes, but it gets to the point where I get tired of explaining myself! It's just a nothing little blog about my life and my feelings. I don't have a big following, I just met a few really nice people that I consider friends. What's the harm???
I don't get it, Carol.
But I think what you have done is best.
I hope you continue to enjoy both blogging and Facebook.
Take care.
Love to you,
Eileen

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Love your new background. Very nice. And the cookies look really good! Sorry you had such problems on Facebook. I love it. And I love being able to get to know my blogging friends better. BUT I totally understand!!! We never became "friends" there and it's okay. Everyone should be able to control who they let see there. And if anyone becomes offended, it's their problem. You need to do what is best for you and your family!!! If you do decide to add blogging friends again, let me know!! Enjoy your weekend!

Anne said...

Mom the cookies look yummy!

*°º¤♥-=|F®äñ|=-♥*°º¤ said...

♥WHT A LOVELY BLOG,I ENJOYED SO MUCH READ SUM OF THE POSTS,CONGRATS.A GREAT SATURDAY AND GOD BLESS♥

Michael said...

I have to stop reading your posts when I am hungry! :)

Aayden and Aarons Mommy said...

Those cookies are so cute Grandma! I love them. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails