Thursday, April 29, 2010

A 45th wedding anniversary!.......


A 45th wedding anniversary!........

With all of the commotion surrounding our dear little pooch Charli I didn't get a chance to tell you my hubby and I recently celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary! Whew...... Where has all of the time gone?

Those of you who follow my blog know that my hubby and I eloped in 1965. Yes we did! We were very young and crazy in love ♥ I had just turned eighteen and was still in high school. My hubby was nineteen. We kept our marriage a secret from everyone for several months because I was afraid if anyone at my school found out I wouldn't be able to graduate. Things were much different back in those days :>)
When we eloped we didn't think to bring a camera so there are no pictures to share. I wore a sailor suit/skirt and white heels. My hubby wore a suit jacket, pants, and tie. I wasn't expecting to get married that day but my hubby called and said that I had two hours to get ready because he had made an appointment with the Judge. We were planning on getting married later that year or early the next year. However, as we began to make our initial wedding plans for a more formal affair it seemed like such a hassle to us. We had taken out a marriage licence and gotten a blood test on a dare from some of our friends who were getting married at the time. Long and silly story, to long to go into here :>)
When we eloped we didn't realize we needed witnesses so we almost couldn't get married but then the secretary at the city hall and a gentleman who was just released from jail agreed to stand up for us. The gentleman's clothes were all in disarray from having spent the night in jail and he still reeked of alcohol. After our little ceremony my hubby and I went home and dyed Easter eggs with my niece and nephew.
On October 1st, 1983 my hubby and I got married again or I guess you could say we renewed our vowls. Again, a very small affair, but this time in church, instead of city hall, and we did have some family members present. We had a few flowers and we even managed to have a small wedding cake :>)
We didn't own a very good camera but we did managed to get some pictures that time.






















As a couple we have had our share of ups and downs, our joys, and our sorrows just like anyone else in a long term marriage. Because we were so young, we essentially grew up together. Looking back we both agree we wouldn't have had it any other way. We feel very blessed in that there is still passion in our marriage even after all these years.



My hubby has always written me notes and made me cards through out our years together. This is the front of the card he made me recently. If you click on the image I think you will be able to read what it says. He comes across to the world as this big old macho bear but inside he is a very romantic fellow indeed :>)
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HONEY!!!!
I LOVE YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

21 comments:

GardenofDaisies said...

OH this is so sweet! Happy Anniversary to you two!!! Congratulations on 45 years!!!
DH and I have been married for 23. Any words of wisdom for the next 22+ ??

Wanda said...

An elopement! What sweet memories you have, Carol!
My husband and I too married quite suddenly the fall after I graduated in 1963. He was 2years older and on a weekend leave(USAF), normally there was a waiting period after applying for the license, but his being in the military, we received it immediately, and were married in my parent's home with just our families present. I wore my white graduation dress. We've lasted happily ever after too!

Our husbands are similar...they look like bears:) but have teddy bear hearts! We're lucky aren't we!
Enjoyed your post and photos, Carol.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh CAROL!!!! THIS IS A CAUSE FOR A HUGH CELEBRATION! You are talking to the queen of party-time! I am so blessed to know that you have been together for so long! YEAH!!! Enjoy the bliss and the afterglow dearest! Anita

MyThoughtsMyVoice said...

Congratulation to both of you Carol! Wow, 45 years. And you did started very young. Very young! But look at you now.

It's a combo of being romantic and a little crazy what you guys did. And the story of that very day too with the witnesses and all. I don't think I'll be able to have the courage to elope LOL

Mizpah,
Li

(I sure am curious about the blood test :-) )

Channon said...

Happy anniversary! What a sweet story, although it is a bit familiar... My inlaws eloped - Dae was headed for the Navy - and my mother inlaw did indeed "have" to quit school. They've been married 47 years.

Shelia said...

Hi Carol! Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful story! You and your husband are a miracle to have stayed married! You know what I mean, so many young ones just don't make it! Hallelujah for you two! What beautiful pictures - you're a pretty as a picture and your hubby is so handsome! Romance...it's wonderful.
Hope little Charli is doing well now!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sue said...

Wow, what a romantic story. Congratulations to you both. 45 years is a big accomplishment. We wish you many, many more.

Michelle Custodio said...

Wow, that is really sweet. You deserve some great wedding card. Hope they will be in continuous joy and happiness.

♥ Kathy said...

So sweet ♥ Happy Anniversary!!

Anne said...

Aww. This post is so sweet. ♥ Happy45th Anniversary!

Knitty said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! My brother-in-law and sis-in-law were 19 and 17 when they married and their 40th is next month. Our 35th is in September and my brother's 51st is in August.

Let's hear it for long marriages! :D

Eileen said...

Oh, you are such a sweet couple! And so romantic!
I love your husband's card to you, and I love how you always are so thoughtful and considerate of each other. It really is the little things that count and mean so much, right?

Ray and I will be married 37 years next month, I was nineteen and he was twenty when we got married, and like you, we grew up together too (we had been dating two years before we got married, and hanging out with the same group of friends before that). We got engaged a month after I graduated high school and married the following May. I remember telling my Mom and she and I were sitting at the kitchen table, and she stood behind my chair and stroked my hair and said she thought we were so young, but she also said it felt so right.

I love the pictures from your vow renewal, such a pretty rose colored dress, such a pretty 'bride' and such a handsome 'groom'.
Happy, Happy Anniversary! Wishing you all the best!
Love to you,
Eileen

Just a little something from Judy said...

What a romantic story, and what a wonderful tribute to your husband, even after all these years. To the month, you were married exactly 10 years before we were. I really enjoyed the privilege of stepping into your world for a few moments. Congratulations to the two of you! I wish you many more fun and happy years together.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Carol, I just clicked on the heart card to enlarge it, and how very touching; when our men are really in love, they are just charming and so sweet! Thank you for coming by and MERCI to Charli for those fuzzy hugs and Kisses! WE LOVE "EM!!!!

Happy celebration dearest, Anita

Ann said...

Congratulations to you both on your 45th Wedding Anniversary and may you have many more. I got goose pimples when I read the lovely romantic cards your husband made for you, how thoughtful. Also you brought to mind that my parents eloped back in 1942. You both look fantastic.

Happy Catholic said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story! God Bless!!

GrandmaK said...

Oh my goodness how grand...Ron and I will be married 42 years in July. Don't know where the time has flown. Wishing you well and sorry this is late!!!!!

inspirações da Jô said...

Carol dear,
I though delayed, could stop commenting and saying how much the love of your is beautiful and blessed by God !!!!!! You are pretties, radiating light and love, much love !!!!!! May God keep you blessed this marriage !!!!!!! Kisses flower !!!!!!!!

Michael said...

What a wonderful story! You are both very blessed and I pray for both of you!

Michael said...

Oh, P.S. Happy Anniversary!

JG said...

Happy Anniversary!

45 Years - that is so nice!

Related Posts with Thumbnails