Monday, April 26, 2010

'And Still They Prospered: Living Through The Great Depression'



'And Still They Prospered: Living Through The Great Depression'

Every year from February through May, The Albert L. Lorenzo Cultural Center, at Macomb Community College, in Macomb Township, here in Michigan has offered incredibly amazing exhibits that are free and open to the public. This year the focus of the exhibit happens to be the Great Depression. In conjunction with the exhibit, the center offers over forty lectures which are given by award winning authors, historians, and professors from colleges and universities all over the country. Most of the lectures are free of charge or are offered at a very minimum fee. Some of the lectures offered in this series include titles like: Quilting in Detroit in the 1930s, The Great Depression Revisited, Gone With The Wind: A Depression Phenomenon, The New Deal and the Future of America, Detroit: The Black Bottom Community, Prohibition in Detroit, The Food of a Younger Land, and Jazz in Detroit during the Great Depression.

The Lorenzo Cultural Center has a knack for exploring history through it's presentations, performances, activities, and exhibits. Each series that the center offers is equally intellectually stimulating and tastefully done. My huband and I feel extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to visit the center, attend these exhibits, and sit in on some of the fantastic lectures they offer.
I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the pictures I took of the current exhibit. If you click on the pictures you will be able to enlarge them, and if you then zoom in, I think you will be able to read the information on the posters.
"How did Americans in the 1930s do it?
Where did they find the wherewithal to
survive, to maintain hope, to carry on?
What can their ability to band together
to help each other teach us today? Join us
at the Lorenzo Cultural Center to
develop a greater understanding of those challenging times and discover the inspiring
acts that carried people through one of the country's darkest decades."
-The Lorenzo Cultural Center-






























































I hope you enjoyed seeing some of the posters and items on exhibit at the cultural center. As you can see the center not only explored the financial collapse that occurred during the Great Depression but also gave a glimpse into what life was like living in those turbulent and compelling times.
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
It was rainy here earlier but the sun is out now. Charli is already bugging me to go out and play :>)

With warmest regards, Carol

5 comments:

Vee said...

Whatever things helped them to hang on, I think we need today. So many are in real trouble.

When I have more time, I'll be back to enlarge some of these and read them. I saw a lot that look very interesting.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Carol, I wish my father was still alive to retell his version of living through this time. My daddy was born in 1905, and came to America in 1920. He had a wife, a daughter, but became a widow during the depression. My half-sister is no longer alive to retell her side of it, but I remember as a child hearing their stories of living through this. An immigrant with a child to feed, my father had to make some tough decisions that would haunt him the rest of his and my sister's lives, but all in all, they survived, and my father prospered enough to remarry and have me. Interesting and wonderful message dear one. Anita

Eileen said...

Oh, Carol, this is great!
I would love to have seen this, and I'm so happy you shared this with us.
I heard lots of stories of the Depression from my grandparents and from my Mom. She remembers waiting on long 'bread lines' with my grandmother, and going to 'soup kitchens' with my grandfather, and they could also go to a 'grocery store' where they could get canned goods for free. She said there were many, many days when her family (her Mom, Dad, and four girls) had nothing to eat but a few bites of bread and water. Such sad times.
And I see on the news that there are so many today in much the same situation. I saw areas where 'tent towns' have been set up because of so much unemployment and so many losing their homes.

Makes me that much more grateful for what I have.

Loved this post, Carol.
Love to you,
Eileen

Wanda said...

We live in a wonderful country, but it is sad to think some are living a touch of the same now, as then.
Thanks for showing some of the exhibits you viewed, Carol.
♥...Wanda

♥ Kathy said...

That was so awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us Carol :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails