Wednesday, April 28, 2010

National Poetry Month..... Poem in your Pocket Day

National Poetry Month......
Poem in your Pocket Day!....

As many of you know April is National Poetry Month but did you know that April 29Th is Poem in your Pocket Day? If you would like you can read all about Poem in your Pocket Day by clicking the following link
There is still time to participate in this wonderful celebration of poetry day. All you have to do is pick one of your favorite poems, put it in your pocket, and then share it with a friend. Last year I actually hosted a little Poem in your Pocket Day get together which turned out to be a loads of fun.

The poem I chose to share was 'The Children's Hour' which has always been one of my favorites. I made booklets that I used as favors and then placed my poem inside.











Although I am not hosting a Poem in your Pocket Day get together this year I do have a poem ready to slip in my pocket tomorrow.
My love of poetry comes from my mother. She knew so many wonderful poems. She knew them all by heart and would tell them to my brother, sister, and me over and over again. Some of the fondest memories I have of my mother are the days when all of us would snuggle up on the sofa and she would share poems with us. At the time we didn't know she was reciting poetry. We thought they were stories that she had heard somewhere. Some of the poems were very sad while others were joyful. I loved them equally the same. My mother would never tell us where she had heard them and she never mentioned an author. It was only years later that I came across some of the poems in literature books and realized what they were.
"LITTLE BOY BLUE
The little toy dog is covered with dust,
But sturdy and stanch he stands;
And the little toy soldier is red with rust,
And his musket molds in his hands,
Time was when the little toy dog was new
And the soldier was passing fair,
And that was the time when our Little Boy Blue
Kissed them and put them there.
"Now, don't you go till I come," he said,
"And don't you make any noise!"
So toddling of to his trundle-bed
He dreamed of his pretty toys.
And as he was dreaming, and angel song
Awakened our Little Boy Blue-
Oh, the years are many, the years are long,
But the little toy friends are true.
Ay, faithful to Little Boy Blue they stand,
Each in the same old place,
Awaiting the touch of a little hand,
And the smile of a little face.
And they wonder, as waiting those long years through,
In the dust of that little chair.
What has become of our Little Boy Blue
Since he kissed them and put them there."
-Eugene Field-
1850-1895
Do you have a favorite poem from your childhood? Do you celebrate National Poetry Month or Poem in your Pocket Day? If so, I would love to hear from you.
I hope you are having a truly special day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

6 comments:

BALLET NEWS said...

Love it Carol. Your poem especially. I love poetry, especially Keats. My fave film is Dead Poet's Society.

♥ Kathy said...

How neat! I loved that!

Eileen said...

Such a sweet poem, and such a great idea! I like your poem party from last year!

I actually just read about this the other day. I think it's sweet.
I have such a bad memory, I always have, and memorizing and reciting poetry in grade school was always such a chore for me, I liked it much better in high school when we just read and discussed it! I especially loved Emerson and Thoreau!

Thanks for sharing your poem!
Love to you,
Eileen

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Carol, this is so charming. I have favorites in French since I really studied more French literature than English, but oh this is a post for a quiet moment.....I bet Charli loves to hear it! I used to tutor a child whose fox terrier George would nestle his behind in my lap and look up at me while I was reading French stories. He died of a heart attack and my visits for tutoring were never the same!!!!!!

Much love to you all, Anita

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Carol....Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting my blog! Isn't Anita the best? She is such a loyal blogging friend! I have really enjoyed seeing all the photos of your oh so cute Charli! My mom and dad had a shnauzer named Scotty and he was the sweetest little guy. Have a great day!~Patti

Just a little something from Judy said...

I never read this poem before, and now it is one of my favorites. I like the one line where it states how through the years, they remained true. What a sweet way to portray those faithful little toys. You must have had a very special mother. Taking time to sit and share her gift of memory with you and your brother. I enjoyed picturing that in my mind this morning.

Hopefully sometime in the coming weeks, I will get to share a poem or two that I treasure in my heart.

Related Posts with Thumbnails