Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bags........


Peanut Butter and Jelly Bags....

"Mom always makes me sandwiches
That no other mom can beat
Her peanut butter and jelly
Is my favorite treat."
-Author unknown-

Does your little one like peanut butter and jelly? If so, why not make them their very own peanut butter and jelly bag?

Care packages such as these are fun to make and are usually much loved and apprieciated. For me these bags started when my hubby's brother Jim was in boot camp years ago. All of us friends would get together and write him letters on a regular basis. Then one day my mother suggested sending him a care package. My Aunt Rose, who was visiting at the time, thought it was a wonderful idea and pretty soon we were all collecting items to send to Jim. After the first package, Jim told us, how much he and his friends had loved recieving the package so we started sending them on a regular basis. We would send soap, magazines, gum, hard candies, candy bars, crackers and just about anything else we thought he might need or like. We always included jokes or some sort of funny sayings to brighten up his day. My mother even sent him home made cookies. All of the guys loved those.

Through out the years I have made my children and friends little packages such as these for this, and that, but the ones I think my children remember the most are what I used to call my 'sunshine packages.' They usually recieved one of those packages when they were not feeling well. It included things like oranges, cough drops, tissues, vitamens, and vernors along with a get well card.

A couple of months ago Aayden happened to tell me that peanut butter and jelly was his very favorite thing to eat. I know Ryan loves peanut butter and jelly too so I thought it might be fun to make them each their very own peanut butter and jelly bag. I made them each special labels, added poems, and filled the bags with all sorts of things they could spread their peanut butter and jelly on.


"911 for Peanut Butter
There among the piles of clutter,
Lay a poor man in the gutter.
I approached and heard him mutter,
Call 9-1-1 for peanut butter!


Sound the siren, lite a flare.
Intentsive peanut butter care.
Bring some liquid that contains
Some peanut butter for my veins!

I'm like him, I do declare.
I need peanut butter care.
Peanut butter's every where.
On my feet and in my hair.

I'm a peanut butter nutter.
Proud old peanut butter strutter.
Heart's a flutter, makes me stutter.
Puh-puh, puh-puh, peanut butter!"
-Grandpa Tucker-


Aayden and Ryan seemed to like they're peanut butter and jelly bags. I'll have to think of another kind of care package to make them soon :>)
How about you? Have you ever made a care package for someone important in your life? If so, why did you make it and what kinds of things did you put in it? I would love to hear from you.
Well, Charli and I are are off for a walk.



I hope all of you have a lovely day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

14 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Carol,

That is a fantastic idea and I know just who to send those bags to.
Thank you my friend.

big hugs,
Barb

♥ Kathy said...

I see Doritos and candy and juice boxes too :) Yum! I've sent care packages to my kids and received care packages. Lately my sister has been sending me some with soap, shampoo, cat food, fish food..stuff I just can't get enough pennies together to buy. It's so sweet when someone thinks about you that way! You are so sweet to do that for your grandsons ♥ Big Hugs!

Rose said...

What a very cute idea! Carol, you really need to email me. I have something for you.

Wanda said...

Carol you are an exceptional Grandmother and Woman!!!
My 'thing' is to always have my homemade Banana Pecan Breakfast Muffins and Onion Bagels in the freezer and non fizzy drinks in the fridge for my grandchildren, their favorites. I never run out!

♥...Wanda

Tricia said...

What a neat idea! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been really busy during April, so haven't been blogging much, but hope to get back on track soon. Seems like I'm always fighting a weight battle. I am going to look into the challenge you mentioned. Like you said, every little bit helps.

Blessings,
Tricia

Just a little something from Judy said...

I know that your life makes a huge difference to those in it, by your kind and thoughtful ways of showing that you care. This is a perfect example. What a great idea! Care packages are a wonderful way to reach out and remember those special to you in life. I never thought of a peanut butter and jelly care package. The poem was so cute too. Once again, I am reminded of how thankful I am for bloggers like you. Thanks for this idea.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a wonderful idea, Carol!!!! You know, more than ever, we see children who are allergic to peanuts or other tree nuts....it is so severe in many cases! How sad that these new generation kids can't enjoy the fun and joy of PB!!!!

Bisous, Anita

Eileen said...

I love this idea of the little treat bags filled with such personal things! And the poem was adorable!

I will have to keep this in mind for Jayden and Mia!
You always have such good ideas, Carol, thanks for sharing them!

The only care packages I have done was for my nephews when they were serving in Iraq, and we all did much like your family, with necessities they were missing from home and of course favorite treats! And most important of all they asked for lots dental floss (I think it was to clean their guns if I remember right!)
At first they also requested soccer balls and candy for the Iraqi children but then a lot of the Iraqi adults got mad at that so the soldiers were ordered to stop.
I guess the Iraqi people/government felt like it was some kind of propaganda campaign. Sad.

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful idea, and it is something I think I'll be doing for friends too!
Love to you,
Eileen

Knitty said...

I nominate you as Poet Laureate for the Peanut Butter Lovers of America! :)

JG said...

Care Packages are the best! I mailed my sons & their friends packages of their favorite homemade cookies when they were in college.

Vee said...

Fabulous idea, Carol! When I grow up, I want to be a grandma just like you. The thing is that both my grands are addicted to peanut butter and jelly. They'd love this! And their parents might, too!

Blessings each day said...

Such a great idea and now I can get together a new and innovative box for my daughter in AZ who has only social security disability to try to live on...she loves peanut butter and I had forgotten about sending it. Thank you so much.

blessings and hugs to you,

marcy

p.s. and my word verification is avings like savings that will help others!!

Barb said...

Hi Carol,
This is Barb, Ele's daughter!
Thank you for checking out my blog. I did just start about 10 days ago and you are right; I have allready met so many great people. Your blog is great. My kids would love your bags. I'll keep your blog on my list too!
Take care,
Barb

MyThoughtsMyVoice said...

Hello Carol,

I love this idea! I have tried giving gifts but not like this. I think it is fun and sweet at the same time. It can just be bits and pieces right? Things that can brighten one's day - little or big. Oh I'll have to think of something! :-) Thank you for this idea.

I hope you and Charli had a nice walk.

Mizpah,
Li

(I hope too you'll enjoy crocheting those wee baskets :-) )

Related Posts with Thumbnails