Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Annual Basset Hound Parade......


The Annual Basset Hound Parade!

The annual Basset Hound parade is actually part of a three day event called the Basset Waddle. It is held in Birmingham, Michigan during the month of May. It is one of Michigan's largest Basset Hound Rescue fund raisers. There are balloons, trains, marching bands, trophies, prizes, and a whole lot of Basset Hounds! Apparently this parade has been going on a number of years and between 400 to 500 lovable and sweet Basset's participate.
I have included a link so that you can view a little bit of the parade and waddle for yourself. It is an older video and apparently the parade just keeps getting bigger and better every year.
I have always had a affinity for this particular breed because my childhood dog was a big old sweet Basset Hound named Chill. In fact, if our eldest son had not had such severe allergies as a child we probably would have gotten a Basset Hound instead of a Schnauzer. Shh... What ever you do please don't tell Charli. You know how sensitive she can be.
Some of my best childhood memories included my precious old hound Chill. He was quite the character! He went every where with me including on occasion to school. Let me just say that my elementry school principal and the teachers were not very happy on the days he decided to pay me a visit. Especially since Chill sometimes snuck into the school if a door was left open. He would run up and down the halls howling for me, in the way only a Basset Hound can do, disrupting classes while everyone was trying very hard to catch him. It was bad enough on the days he hung out by the school door or on the school grounds waiting for me to come out. He was always getting into some kind of trouble but it was all because he loved me ♥ I can't even begin to tell you how many phone calls were placed to my parents. We lived in a rual area in the days when doors were never locked and dogs enjoyed much more freedoms then they do today.
Unfortunately, I had never heard of this wonderful and fun filled parade, or the Basset Hound Waddle until about a month ago when my cousin Jamie posted some pictures on his face book page. After writing Jamie for permission to post some of his pictures here on my blog he graciously invited Charli and me to be his guest at the parade next year. We are very excited about attending and I have tenatively marked my calendar with a date.
Charli is already fretting about what to wear. You know what a little diva she is! She has mentioned that a cheer leading outfit would be nice. Of course she is kind of put out that she won't be in the actual parade or crowned queen of the Basset Hounds.









I hope you enjoy the video as much as I did......
I hope you are having a beautiful day and doing something fun!
As for me, I'm off to do the grocery shopping :>)
I can't wait to see what all of you have been up to.
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Channon said...

Squeeeee! I made my MIL watch with me. I always wanted to take Fred to a waddle and never made it, so maybe Sissy and I can get to one...

Shelley said...

I would love to see this parade - so many cute doggies! I'm thinking they need a schnauzer and bernese mountain dog parade too.....

Madeline's Album said...

What a cute idea. Love the video and the picture you posted. Your story about your dog following you to school was a kick. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Vee said...

Ha! I had no idea how low to the ground some basset hounds are! Chill sounds like quite the character and I loved hearing your memories of howling through the school halls. Too funny! No, I'll not say a word to Charli...mummmmmm

Barb said...

What a fun post. You know, Tommy is a little jealous that he could not participate. He a low riding Basset
(all 75 lbs).

hugs to you and Charli

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh what fun!! I love the one in the straw hat...
Thanks for sharing...
Warm regards, Penny

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

CAROL! HOW DID I MISS THIS POST! I have actually been to one of these and it is hilarious. GOd really knows what he was doing when he invented a Basset Hound and He had to be laughing.....Now, for Charli's outfit. I think a cheerleading outfit would be grand! TAKE SOME PICTURES OF HER GETTING READY!!! LOVE YOU BOTH, Anita

Sally said...

Oh Carol, I always enjoyed the dachshund parade in South Florida each year! Basset hounds are similar. I do love the way they move.

Anne said...

Lol. That video was to funny. I've never heard of such a parade. Thanks for sharing.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Like you, I never heard of this Bassett Hound parade either. It made me smile. I know whatever Charli chooses to wear, she will look smashing. In fact the dogs in the parade might be jealous of how cute she is. Hope you have a fun time.

Eileen said...

Such a fun post!
I've never heard of this parade but I enjoyed the video and your pictures very much! I'm sure you'll have a great time when you attend!
And I enjoyed your stories about Chill too!
We had a dog when I was little that was part Basset Hound, my oldest brother brought her home from his girlfriend who lived in Rhode Island, and he flew from there to New York with this little tiny puppy in his pocket! My Dad was not happy at all, he was not very pet-friendly, but my brother assured him it would only be temporary until he and his girlfriend were married. My brother and his girlfriend had already named her Amanda, but my Mom nicknamed her 'Mandy' and that's what we called her.
Not too long after Mandy was in our home my brother's girlfriend broke their engagement, and Mandy had a home with us for many years!

Love to you,
Eileen

Eileen said...

PS ~ I've been meaning to tell you how nice your blog looks! I love the patriotic theme!

Related Posts with Thumbnails