Thursday, May 27, 2010

Answers, many thanks, and a tip......




Answers, many thanks, and a tip....


First of all I just wanted to say thank you for the lovely comments and e-mails some of you left regarding our little diva Charli. I love to make everyone smile so you really made my day :>)

Some of you have asked where I got Charli's cap and gown. There are not many graduation outfits for animals out there and the few I did find were rather expensive so I decided to make my own. For those of you who have a little diva and would like to make a graduation outfit for her as well this is what I did. I purchased a square of plain black material from Jo-Ann fabrics. Originally I was going to use the material as a bandanna but that didn't look very graduation like to me. I don't sew very well so I decided to use two way tape to hem the material. Then I taped some yellow quilting strips to the black material to make the decorative border. After I put the outfit on Charli, I added a mauve ribbon, and an old fake gold necklace. I also used two way tape to close the top of the cape but I am thinking perhaps of adding a snap to it. I found a package of graduation stickers and used one of them on the side of the cape for decoration. You can hardly see it in the picture but it says graduation. I'm sure if you sew you could come up with something much fancier and more creative than this. The diploma is simply a sheet of printing paper that I rolled up and tied with the same mauve ribbon as on the cape. The cap is made out of card stock. I cut a strip of card stock for the bottom of the hat and glued black construction paper onto both sides. Then I folded it in half and then fourths. I cut slits on one side of it, folded them down, and stapled them to the bottom of another piece of square card stock. I used scrap booking paper as an over lay and glued it to the top of the hat so the the staples wouldn't show on the top. I added a black strap to the hat because Charli doesn't like to wear a hat if it doesn't have one on it and the strap also keeps the hat more secure on her head. Then I poked a hole in the top of the hat and added a flat gold button that had a loop on the bottom of it. I ran a piece of wire through the loop and taped the wire to the bottom of the hat. For the tassel I used embroidery thread that has what is called precious metal effects on it.
My hubby really gets a kick at the way Charli loves to pose in her outfits. I originally got her to pose by setting a little hat on her head, telling her how beautiful she looked, and then taking it off again. I would do that periodically through out the day, each time leaving the hat on a second, or two longer. After a couple of days I got the camera out and started clicking away. Now all I have to do is put a hat on her head, tell her how beautiful she is, and she will pose. She loves it! She knows she is beautiful. In fact, she has become quite the little ham during our little photography sessions.

Now I have a tip for all of you who have dogs and cats. You probably already know this but it's something I thought was a very clever and cute idea that I had never seen before. As some of you know Charli recently went to a new groomer. Well, when I picked her up, instead of the usual bandanna the groomers use, this groomer had added a darling little bow to Charli's collar. The bow was secured with a rubber band that had been looped around her collar. I thought it was so cute! I am going to start using bows on the holidays. Charli already has a red collar so when we go to the fourth of July parade this year I think I'll add a patriotic ribbon to it.

I hope all of you are having a wonderful day ♥
Charli sends her love to you!
With warmest regards, Carol

11 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I can't believe you made that outfit, Carol! WOW! You did a super duper job on that!

I am dropping by to say thanks for your birthday greetings to Mr. M. He was so touched, and you all just made his day. :-)

Also wanted to wish you a Happy Memorial Day. I'm taking a little break for a couple of days, and I will see you when I return because of things going on here.

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That last sentence makes no sense. LOL! I'm taking a break from blogging due to things goig on here. That makes sense now. It's late! :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh dear.....O.K., Carol, you are something else. Charli is something else. I love you both so! She makes me laugh so much, and Carol, when I come here, I am so happy to see this little diva girl ham it up. That is so precious how she has learned how beautiful she is by the hats you put on her! That picture of her looking into the camera with almost a smile.....this is precious. I am going to start my day with a smile, thinking of this little canine cutie.

Many thanks for the precious and divine gift of humor and love for God's creatures!!!! Anita

Madeline's Album said...

You did a great job on making Charli's outfit. She is a doll. Hope you have a blessed day a a great memorial day weekend. Madeline

Rose Haven said...

Awwwwwwwww...how sweet!!

the voice of melody said...

You are very creative and talented to have made Charli's outfit! She looks very cute! And the little bow is a great "accessory" to her collar. :)

♥ Kathy said...

She is the cutest graduate I've ever seen! What a great job you did on her outfit :) I love the bow idea too!

myletterstoemily said...

what a darling idea! love that cute
pooch!

SmilingSally said...

Charli is an amazing dog, and she has amazing owners!

Rose said...

What an awesome costume! And seriously you should consider designing these things and go into business! Great job! And yes, Charlie definitely looks like she is smiling in that first picture of her with the bow on her collar! It's her eyes that show the smile and satisfaction! She is definitely a little ham, but soooo cute!!

Ann said...

Congratulations to Charli on her graduation, she looks so smart, I'm sure she is going to have a wonderful future, seeing that she has done so well with her studies.

Related Posts with Thumbnails