Thursday, May 6, 2010

Booking Through Thursday.....



Welcome to Booking Through Thursday at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A weekly post where blogger's such as myself get together to discuss literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site......



This week our questions are as follows.......
"So.... you're halfway though a book and you're hating it. It's boring. It's trite. It's badly written. But.... you've invested all this time in reading the first half. What do you do? Read the second half? Just to finish out the story? Find out what happens? Or, cut your losses and dump the second half"

I would definitely finish the book. I approach books in general as an assignment. I learned to do that when I started seriously reading as a young adult. It was my brother who actually introduced me to reading. He would pick out books for me to read like 'The Catcher in the Rye' and then we would discuss them. When I was finally able to go to college one of my first professors handed us an Amherst book list and told us we didn't belong in his class if we had not read every book on the list. I have yet to finish that list although I have made quite a dent. Later, at the university I attended, we were assigned a multitude of fiction and non fiction books that related to the courses we were taking. Books I would probably never have chosen to read on my own but thoroughly enjoyed for the most part.
Of course there will always be books that I enjoy more than others but because of my experiences I believe every book has merit on some level. I think there is always something to learn, something the author is trying to get across, or some little piece of information in the book that builds on something else I may have read in the past.
When I first started reading I probably would have put down most of the books I started to read had I not forced myself to finish them. I spend most of my time looking up words, re-reading paragraphs, and sometimes even chapters. The books for the most part were never the problem. The problem was me. I had a limited foundation or experience upon which to build. The more I read, the more I began to enjoy reading, and the more books began to make sense and appeal to me.
Today there are those books that grab my attention right from the beginning and I thoroughly enjoy them right to the last page. There are other books that start off well but have unrealistic or lame endings. Still other books that are boring or difficult to follow in the beginning and yet have fantastic endings. However, had I not finished the book I would have had no way of knowing. I don't think I could possibly have an informed opinion about a book or it's author had I not finished the book.
What about you? If you are half way through a book and don't like it do you finish it or do you dump the second half?
Happy BTT everyone!
With warmest regards, Carol

9 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh I remember reading a book during my French studies that I HATED but I had to write a paper on it. I used the negative moments in the book to say that they author actually needed to pull in the reader with all the emotions that HE WANTED US TO FEEL that HE FELT in the story. It was actually a brilliant stroke on the author's part, and I must say, an inventive way on my end to get through the book and write a decent paper! My prof said I wrote my review like a true critic. WHEW! Anita

Sue said...

I've done both. If it's well written, but I'm not into it, I may finish it. If it's badly written and not interesting, I go on to the next one. There are too many good books waiting to get bogged down with a bad one.

Eileen said...

I can't remember ever coming across a book that I didn't want to finish, but if I did, I'd force myself to finish it too.
I have read MANY forgettable books (but not one that I hated).

I do love reading, but I like it better when I have a few days to devote to a whole book to read it through. With watching the grandkids now that's almost impossible.

Have a great weekend, and enjoy a very Happy Mother's Day!
Love to you,
Eileen

Just a little something from Judy said...

You challenge me and often cause me to stop and think about things, like finishing books that I start and find boring. You gave me a new perspective. I admire this approach, although I do not think I could possibly carry it through. For me, a book has to be quite interesting, or I put it down. I am sure I missed out on many a good story for that reason. Your brother was wise in his admonition to you. I wish I would have been told that earlier in my life. Thank you for sharing his advice and your perseverence with us. I think it would be interesting to sit and discuss books that we both read, with you.

Micki said...

I love reading...I have always finished a book that i started. Sometimes it takes a book a while to get interesting.
Micki

SmilingSally said...

I looked for you at Sheila's party, especially since she promised cupcakes.

Have a great Mother's Day!

zetor said...

I've also done both, it depends how much I hate it.

JG said...

Occasionally, I do start a book that I don't enjoy. I keep reading - thinking that the best is yet to come. After finishing the book I'll go onto Amazon's reviews to see if anyone has the same thoughts. :)

inspirações da Jô said...

Carol loved,
I could not let pass here to wish you have a blessed, happy and beautiful Mother's Day my beautiful flower !!!!!
You live in my heart dear!!
Kisses !!!!!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails