Thursday, May 13, 2010

Booking Through Thursday.....


Welcome to Booking Through Thursday at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A weekly post where book lovers such as myself get together to have discussions about literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking through Thursday web site......

This week our questions are as follows.....
"Are your book choices influenced by your friends and family? Do their recommendations carry weight with you? Or do you choose books solely by what you want to read?"
My book choices are sometimes influenced by my family and friends. If it is something that sounds interesting I will definitely read it. I also like to read books I wouldn't necessarily choose to read on my own. I have a friend who loans me books all of the time that have proofed to be quite interesting but I would probably have walked right past those books had I seen them in a library or at a book store.
My reading choices are also influenced by the blog world. I am always getting tips about good books here.
However, I would have to say of all the recommendations I receive, my book club carries the most weight with me. Those books are carefully selected by a team of librarians and are usually quite good. Our book club just finished reading 'Skeletons at the Feast' which was a very powerful book indeed.
I also get tip and recommendations about books in my humanities group. 'Sacred Hearts' and 'The Red Tent' are on my bedside table now.
Sometimes I even get recommendations from church bulletins.
I was recently sent a book from Random House called "South of Broad' which I am looking forward to starting next week and perhaps recommending to my book club. It looks like it is going to proof to be a very good read.
I just finished reading 'Home' which was a book that caught my eye in a book store.
As you can see my recommendations and literary selections come from just about every where.
Who, or what influences your reading selections? I would love to hear from you.
Well, I'm off to catch up on things. We have been having storms in our area and Charli has been freaking out. It's difficult to get much done on these kinds of days.
Happy BTT everyone!
I hope all of you are having a lovely day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

6 comments:

Marjie said...

I will read anything I can get my hands on. The problem is that once I start a book, I won't stop, so people go hungry, the house stays dirty...you get the picture. Thor doesn't mind; he'll always keep me company.

Madeline's Album said...

I usually read what I like. Hope your weather settles down. We have been having summer like weather here. have a blessed evening. Madeline

Vee said...

If someone gives a good review with enough information for me to go on and I hear about the book from a number of sources, I usually have to get it. Sometimes it works out as it has for me lately. Sometimes I've been bitterly disappointed.

Sue said...

My family and I have very different interests so i don't usually read their recommendations. I will read a review or hear about a book and look it up. Mostly I choose my own selections.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good evening dearest! Oh, we have been having nasty weather as well, but the gardens are gorgeous and green. Oh books....I thought having finished my Master's degree I would have time to read what I want...but in between teaching and eating and sleeping, there isn't much time to steal away. But a good book is usually a recommendation from a colleague or friend!

HAPPY FRIDAY!! Anita

Yvonne said...

I usually go with recommendations from bloggers and online reading groups.

Related Posts with Thumbnails