Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Very pleasant surprise!....


A Very pleasant surprise!........

Just imagine my surprise when I opened the mail box a couple of weeks ago and found an invitation to a 'Retired Nurse's Reception' in honor of Nurses Week. Apparently this is something new the organization I was affiliated with is doing to recognize and honor all of the nurses who have worked for them in the past and are now retired. Is that lovely or what?

Most of the years I was affiliated with the hospital, and Saint John's Health System, I like other nurses had many different roles which has led to some wonderful and lasting relationships with co workers and peers. Some of us have not been able to see each other as often as we would like, but believe me, when you work side by side with someone in a variety of different and sometimes difficult situations they quickly become unforgettable.

It was very odd walking through the doors of the hospital. I had not been back there since I retired several years ago. The minute I stepped inside memories of working there came flooding back. I've always been grateful for all of the opportunities and experiences I've had wandering those halls.










The reception was held in the board room and it was just wonderful! It truly was special ♥
Everyone there in administration went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and had a great time.
We were all asked to fill out a form that included our e-mail and home addresses in case anyone would like to get in touch with us. We were also asked to fill in what our most memorable moment working in the hospital was and who our mentors were. Then we were asked questions about our hobbies, our families, and that sort of thing. We were told all of the information will be compiled and then placed in a book so all of the people still working there will be able to see what we have been up to. Each of us will also receive a copy.
We were given a beautiful long stem red rose as a thank you. There were door prizes and we were treated to coffee, tea, fruit, cheese, crackers and my favorite, cake. The cake was so delicious!
It was so much fun to get together with everyone. There were many hugs, exchanging of information, sharing of stories, and giggling that afternoon.











Yesterday I met with some of the girls again at our monthly luncheon. We have quite a large group that includes social worker's, nurses, lab techs, and secretaries. Most of us used to work together at one time or another. Sometimes someone will bring along a sister, brother, or husband. Right now we are in the process of planning our annual picnic. Everyone is invited to that including all of our families. As I looked around the room yesterday I thought to myself I have been blessed. I have truly been blessed with the gift of friendship ♥

Well, I'm off to pick up a Thank You card but I wanted to remind every one that this week is Women's National Health week. You still have time to take 'The Women Challenge'. All of the information is on my side bar. I hope you will join me. Always remember to check with your doctor before starting any new exercise program.

It's been raining here so I haven't gotten out as much as I would have liked to. I'm trying to tough it out on the treadmill. I do not like to exercise but I do like winning the adchievemnt awards though 'The Woman Challenge' program :>) I think it's just the motivation I might need.
While I'm on the treadmill Charli sits or lays on the back of our sofa totally frustrated. Sometimes she starts shaking or pretends like something is wrong in an attempt to get me to stop. She can be such a little hooligan when she wants to be.

"Come on Grandma! This is boring! Enough is enough!"

Happy Tuesday everyone!
With warmest regards, Carol

9 comments:

Vee said...

It's wonderful that you nurses received the honor that you are due. And I'm glad that you went and enjoyed yourself. Sometimes, it's easier to stay at home. And, hearty congrats on doing those challenges! Good for you and don't let Charli talk you out of it either.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I am so happy that you were honored in this special, generous and thoughtful way. You deserved it! Every time I enter the doors of a hospital, I am reminded of the important role that nurses play in each person's stay. I think it was nice that they got that info from everyone and compiled it in a book for each. What a treasure that must be for you.

I like thinking of Charli sitting near the treadmill waiting and waiting for you. Don't you sometimes wonder what she is thinking?

inspirações da Jô said...

My sweet friend,
I'm sure this reunion with his companions was very good and nice to celebrate and remember times past was a beautiful celebration!!!!!!! What a tasty cake !!!!!!!!
Big kiss and a lovely Wednesday to you !!!!!!!!!!

Anne said...

What a nice gesture to invite all of you and your retired employees back for a little reunion. It sounds like you had a marvelous time. Yeah, it must have been strange to be back at the hospital where you worked. It must have brought back so many memories like you mentioned. That was nice that everyone recieved a rose.
Poor little Charli. She just looks board stiff (lol). That pooch is something else. Take care.

JG said...

What a special occasion! How nice for everyone to get together.

Treadmills sure come in handy when the weather is not co-operating for walks. Exercise is good!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That's such a nice honor, Carol! You all deserve it, too.

And that Charli is a hoot! LOL! I love her expressions.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh sweet Carol! You deserve so much recognition for the love and service you have given to many. And that Charli....she is like a child, when you are on the phone, I bet she doesn't like it, does she? When you are on your treadmill, she wants YOU!!! Oh, can I relate. When I get on the phone, my husband starts talking to me, or starts to clown around, ALL TO GET MY ATTENTION! What is up with that? We must be loved so much!!!!!!

Bisous to you both, Anita

MyThoughtsMyVoice said...

What a sweet gesture! :-) And the book is something too. How wonderful it must be to see all those ladies again! I know the feeling where you go back to a place full of memories. They sure do come rushing through your mind, it is quite overwhelming!

Mizpah,
Li

Aayden and Aarons Mommy said...

How neat, and nice of them to have this gathering for all of you that have retired from the hospital! :) I just think that is so awesome. I'm glad you got recognized for all of your hard years of work. I bet it was great getting to see your old co-workers! It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Good for you! :) I love you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails