Friday, June 4, 2010

'Like being a kid again.... Only Sweeter!'....



'Like being a kid again... Only Sweeter!'
That is the motto of the 'Doc Sweets' Candy Company LLC'
How many of you can remember going to your local mom and pop grocery store or drug store when you were growing up and getting your own special bag of penny candy? Well sometimes some of the candy cost a nickle but I don't remember it costing much more than that. I do remember standing at the counter indecisive as to which kind of candy to choose. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, those were the days! Let's see... Would it be Candy Buttons, Smarties, Lemon Drops, Jaw Breakers or Bazooka Bubble Gum? How about Turkish Taffy, candy cigarettes, candy sticks, or two of my favorites, Mary Jane's and Squirrels?

Recently I wanted some candy in red, white, and blue wrappers for some favors I'm making and I knew just where to go. I headed over to 'Doc Sweets' Candy Company' which is located in Clawson, Michigan. The company was established in 2008 and is one of Michigan's largest candy retail stores. 'Doc Sweets' Candy Company' has won the Daily Tribune's Best of the Reader's Choice Award two years in a row. It was also voted best candy store in Detroit, in Hour Detroit Magazine. I have included a link to their web site here.... http://www.docsweets.com/

As you can see there is candy every where!













I thought these sweet little baskets were very cute. Children must certainly have a ball in this store!
One of the things that most impressed me about the store was this...
When you buy candy by the pound you only use the scoop once. Each red plastic scoop is individually wrapped. The scoop is only used once and then it is disgarded into a disposal waste basket. I didn't ask, but my guess is that they recycle them like they do at the shows when you are asked to dispose of your three-D glasses after the movie is over. I don't usually buy candy by the pound unless it is already weighed and wrapped. I hate to go into a store and find the scoop laying all over the place.

In addition to candy, they sell 'Doc Sweets' Candy Company' tee-shirts.
































The staff is very helpful and friendly too. I had a great time picking out my candy. It was like taking a trip down memory lane :>)
The only down fall to my trip to the candy store was one howling little schnauzer who insists on going every where with me and then gets indignant if she has to wait in the car. Can any one guess who that might be?
Well, Now I'm off to paint my Butterfly house.
I hope all of you have a wonderful and blessed weekend ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Anne said...

How cool is this?! Oh my gosh. I'm not even a kid but I sure the heck would love to be inside this store. Those shopping carts are just the cutest. I'm sure the kids go crazy in that store. I love candy buttons. Thanks for sharing another great post! Love. ♥

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh I love this store! I think i gained a pound just looking at all the candy.. Thank you for sharing.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh that Charli, you just can't take her anywhere!!!! Oh, we have some of these old-fashioned mom and pop candy shops here and they are fun. I remember as a child, the most expensive treat was a Chunky bar: 25 cents! My father made me collect bottles to turn in in order to buy one of those!! "A quarter of a dollar for a candy? Who would pay that?" would say he, who only made about $1.25 an hour in those days. Ah.....memory lane...how sweet! Anita

Madeline's Album said...

Another great post, I really did enjoy the tour around the store. Have a blessed day and weekend. Madeline

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

This looks like my kind of shop, too! Ahhhh yes, memories of penny candy. Would save up my change just to go and get malted chocolate balls and candy cigarettes. YES I do remember all of the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

xo
becky

Just a little something from Judy said...

Would'nt my grandchildren love to visit this store? Can you imagine how excited they would be to have their own little grocery cart to push through this magic store? Will you share the favors you create with us? Thank you for sharing this old fashion store with us.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Carol
I am honored that you would want to put be on your favorites.. Thank you so much for visiting Colette.. You thoughts warm my heart. Thank you.
Oh I love to visit you and Charli.. My schnauzer ~Niles~ passed at age 11. I can't tell you how much love he gave everyone.. Schnauzers are special aren't they? Niles loved to dress up and pose for the camera also... so funny. I am so grateful I still have my litte Jasper. He makes me laugh daily.. Enjoy your weekend.. Give Charli a hug!
Warm regards,
Penny

Vee said...

Wow! Kid-sized grocery carts for candy. What a field day children of all ages must enjoy there!

Eileen said...

How unique!
I wish we had a store like that near us!

I remember when we had a few little neighborhood candy stores, and it was just as you said, a brown paper bag, a few pennies, and then decisions, decisions. And the clerks behind the candy counters were so patient with us!

Thanks for the memories!
Love to you,
Eileen

Papillon Bleu said...

We love you Charli!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelley said...

I'm so glad you told me about this place! I'm going to have to take a drive out there! I need some favors for my 4th of July party at the cabin! Can't wait to see what you are going to create! Give that Charli a hug from me and Scout!

JG said...

What a fun store you visited! Malted Chocolate Balls, Squirrels & White Bark were my favorite treats. The mom & pop store with the candy was located just around the corner from my home.

That is a nice idea about the plastic scoops!

Related Posts with Thumbnails