Tuesday, July 13, 2010

For the love of cake!



For the love of cake!

It's no secret here that I love cake. It's my very favorite dessert. I not only love the taste of cake but I am fascinated with the artistic design and decorating ability that goes into making them. To me cake decorating is a work of art. I wish I was able to do it. I can make a cake that tastes pretty good but that's about as far as it goes. I have often thought of taking cake decorating classes but I know I would always wind up eating the end results and I do have to limit my desserts. Those of you who follow my blog know I love cake so much that I even feature a seasonal wedding cake here on my side bar.
Well, my dear cousin Kathy recently made a cake, her very first attempt, that I just had to share with all of you. Kathy is my cousin Pam's daughter who I have written about several times here in the past. Kathy is a very talented gal as is the entire family. She is an ice skating coach. She was at one time and still may very well be a speed skating coach for the Detroit Red Wings. She is also a sculptor.
Recently Kathy was vacationing on Mackinaw Island and one night she happened to tune in the 'Cake Boss' for the very first time. She said she was fascinated by the amazing cakes that were being created on the show. She said she thought it would be fun to give it a try herself.
When she got back home she googled a recipe for fondant and ran off a few Sponge Bob photo's. She wanted to try to make a Sponge Bob cake because her future daughter-in-law loves Sponge Bob and her birthday was coming up. Is this cake amazing or what! When I saw the photo's I just fell in love with it. Kathy is going to try an Alice cake next and I can't wait to see how it turns out. You know how I love the Mad Hatter. Who knows, maybe next year I'll commission her to make me a Mad Hatter cake for the Mad Hatter tea party we usually have here in blog world.

I love all of the attention to detail and all of the various colors on the cake. See how she took an ordinary candle and made it extraordinary? At first I thought the characters on the cake were made out of plastic because they look so original but they are indeed all made out of fondant. Aren't they adorable ♥ They look so real! I thought she did an absolutely fabulous job!












I can only imagine how delighted her future daughter-in-law Hillary was when she saw it. I would have been on cloud nine!













Thank you so much Kathy for allowing me to share your truly
marvelous cake with all of my friends. You did a wonderful job!











I'm off to get Charli now. She has been out in the yard all morning chasing birds, bees, and butterflies.
I hope all of you are enjoying the summer as much as we are.
With warmest regards, Carol

7 comments:

Sue said...

That cake is wonderful. I've always admired people who can decorate cakes so nicely and those who can arrange flowers so beautifully. Those just aren't my talents. I guess we each have the things we're good at and it makes us appreciate the work of others.

JG said...

The cake is just so cute and also so colorful! It's a gift in itself!

Happyone :-) said...

Wow, that is some cake. She did a fantastic job on it.
I tried taking a cake decorating class with a friend. We only made it through the first class. It would make a good blog story some day! :-)

Madeline's Album said...

Wow!!What a great job she did on decorating the cake. It is a cake my grandson would really enjoy since he loves sponge bob. Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a blessed day and continue enjoying the summer. Madeline

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Carol, this cake is great! She did a fantastic job.. Now I am hungry for a piece of cake.. heee
Enjoy your evening, give Charli a hug
Blessings,
Penny

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a lovely, lovely cake, Carol! Did Charli girl get tempted to sneek a piece? MY FAVORITE OF ALL TIME: CHEESECAKE!!! Have a great weekend, Anita

Micki said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous cake! I am sure that it tastes as good as it looks.
Micki

Related Posts with Thumbnails