Monday, July 5, 2010

Happily exhausted!.....


Happily exhausted

It's been another whirl wind of barbecue's and parties this month and I have to say my hubby and I are totally exhausted. Even Charli has lost her mojo. She is stretched out on her little bed and is refusing to get up.

We had a wonderful time at Ryan's pool party. Anne always does such a great job putting on the best parties! There were water games, balloon tosses, and sack races. Our poor son was not feeling well so Anne had the responsibility for the bulk of the party herself. Of course our whole family pitched in to help make it a huge success. There were nine children at the party and with the pool they had to be supervised very closely. We had two injuries. One little boy was stung by a bee and another little boy slipped off the second step of the latter. We patched up the injuries with band aids and ice. Then the mother's needed to be called. Thank goodness no one sustained a more serious injury.
On a more positive note, Anne made little goody bags for everyone to take home. The kids just loved them! And doesn't Ryan's cake look absolutely yummy?

On a sad note an old and dear friend of mine recently passed away. He was sick for a very short time but I was able to visit him and say good by. This past weekend a barbecue was held in his honor. My hubby and I attended and were able to see so many of my cousins there. It was so nice to talk to all of them and reminisce about old times. We had a wonderful time and I know my friend would have been very pleased.


We had one of the best Fourth of July's we have had in years! I made what I call fire cracker cupcakes. All I did was purchase a box of confetti cup cake mix and add tiny swirls of red and blue to the white frosting. I also added an American flag. They were a huge hit!












We decorated our cabana in red, white, and blue.










We grilled of course.

Then as it got dark we lit the tiki lights and made fires in the fire pits. This is something our whole neighborhood does and it's so pretty to look across the street or across the yards and see the fires and lights all a glow.













Mike and Anne brought fireworks. This is always fun and they were so pretty!















Our property is fairly deep in the back and every Fourth of July people put on awesome firework displays that can be seen though out the sky in all directions while standing out in our yard. It's absolutely beautiful and much better than going to a park!

Today when I look out into the yard the only reminders left of our party are the empty fire works wrappers and the beautiful memories we have. It's time to take all of the Fourth of July decorations down for yet another year. I always have mixed emotions about that because we have such a wonderful time at all of our family celebrations.

Charli and Me will be taking a short break to reorganize the house, our blog, and stop by to visit with all of you. Thank you so much for stopping here and for all of the kind and heart felt comments you leave ♥
I hope you had a lovely and fun packed Fourth of July!
With warmest regards, Carol

20 comments:

Sam and Pippen said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend and no wonder everyone is exhausted!

Sam and Pippen

Madeline's Album said...

What a wonderful 4TH of July you all had. Thanks for sharing your day and night with us. Ryan's cake looks so good as does your 4TH of July cupcakes. Rest and catch your breath and have a blessed day. Madeline

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, I hope Ryan had a very, happy birthday! Looks like a wonderful cake and cupcakes! YUM! And I love to see you all decorated with fireworks, too! We are able to see the ones here from the house which was nice. Mr. Magpie had to work because he is getting ready for a four day trial. Please remember him in your prayers as well as his client! Thanks!

Love Charli's cute outfit. She is just so dressed up on your sidebar. Always love to know what you two are doing.

Glad you had a great Fourth. I'm tired, too, and I think I might spend the say being lazy. It's HOT here.

XO,

Sheila :-)

BALLET NEWS said...

So glad you had a great 4th. It looks such fun from your photos.

Vee said...

"Happily Exhausted" is a wonderful way to describe it. :D

Sorry that Charli is so wiped out, but at least she knows her limits.

What a nice way to honor your friend...a barbecue...much more informal, I'm sure, and a good way to have the chance to visit and remember.

Now your cupcakes are what I should've made. Ha!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Looks like you had a great weekend! Sorry you lost a friend, but glad you were able to see him one last time. The cake does look delicious but so do the cupcakes!!!

Maggie Mae said...

It looks like you had a very fun July 4th celebration. Sorry about the loss of your furiend...

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

GrandmaK said...

I can heartily agree...I'm bushed!!! But ya know I'd not missed the fun this weekend for anything!!! So glad you had a wonderful time too! Wishing you well and thank you for your visit!! Cathy

Knitty said...

My condolences on the passing of your friend. The parties must have been huge successes with those delightful desserts!

I'm torn between telling you to take your time regrouping and asking you to hurry back. Maybe you can split the difference. ;)

Duchess of Tea said...

Carol darling I am delighted you had a lovely 4th celebration. Thank you luv for visiting me this past weekend, you are very kind my friend. Take care darling and get some rest.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

SmilingSally said...

Ryan is so fortunate to have you in his life. His cake is so perfect for a young man. Sorry to hear about those two mishaps, but boys will be boys.

Charli must have loved all of the excitement.

Enjoy your break, Carol.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My sweet, sweet Carol. You really know how to serve it up....the celebrations, the food, the treats of all sorts, no wonder you are bushed! And Charli, did she faire well with all the bang and smoke of the fourth? You are a treasure. HAPPY DAY! Anita

Just a little something from Judy said...

I must admit, you and Charli sure do know how to make every holiday a fun and festive time. The time, thought and creativity you put into July 4th for your family and friends is amazing. I am sure Ryan will not forget his birthdays over the years. It all looks so good. The cupcakes fit in perfectly with the red, white and blue swirls and the flags. The fireworks display looked like fun too. Great pictures.

I am sorry to hear about your dear friend. I am sure that presented mixed emotions for you during this time.

I understand why you and Charli need a break just to catch your breath. Take care.

Queenie said...

It looks like a wonderful day...love those cupcakes that you made..they are so cute, I bet those were a big hit :)

Hope you and Charli enjoy your break....talk to you again soon :)
Have a great week....
Big Hugs,
Queenie

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Carol
Everything looks so beautiful...Glad to hear you had a great weekend.
Thank you so much for visiting Zoe.
Well, it is me and my magnifier... I am afraid I would be lost without it anymore... I appreciate your encouraging words.
Blessins,
Penny

Anne said...

We had a great time to. Thanks for the invite.

Josette said...

Lovely pictures! Good to know you had a great time celebrating the 4th of July. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend.

Shelley said...

Ryan's cake looked beautiful as did your cupcakes! Loved those little flags in them! Your backyard is so lovely - looks like a great place for a family gathering. You and Charli take care!!

MyThoughtsMyVoice said...

Hello Carol,

Yes, yes, yes, Ryan's cake is so colorful and looks so yummy :-) He must be one happy little boy. I guess kids will be kids and some things are just inevitable. But good thing everyone is ok.

Now your cupcakes. just hearing the word confetti cupcake already sound interesting. Why is it called that? What's in the mix? :-)

Mizpah! and I hope after all the activities celebrated, you guys will get some rest :-)

Li

MARIA said...

Thank you for sharing... now I understand more about 4Th of July in USA.

I'm sorry about your friend,...
and what a beautiful form to honor him.

You wrote very suggestive
so I feel like I was there with you.

Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails