Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ice cream and a cabana......


Ice cream and a cabana

I've always wanted a beautiful porch like so many of you gals in blog land have. We do have a porch in the front of our house but it's small, in a subdivision, and we really don't like to sit out there. We have our swings of course, which we dearly love, but they are really not condusive to having meals outside. We have always wanted a screened in porch but three contractors later, and due to the line of our roof, the ceiling would have to come down so low that we just don't think it would look right. We have a patio and umbrella for our table but we have always wanted something with a screen. I think we have found the perfect solution in our little cabana. In fact, we like it so much that we are thinking eventually of getting a free standing more permanent type of screened in cabana or gazebo. We worried that a cabana would not work on our patio because there is really nothing to secure it to other than drilling holes in the patio or our house which we didn't want to do. My hubby and our son Michael came up with a great solution! Our son Michael made us weights and drilled holes into them. Then he and my hubby looped rope over the sides of the cabana and tied it to the weights. We have had our cabana for several months now and it has made it through four major storms without ripping apart.

We still have fires out by our swing but sometimes we now have them on the patio too. It's been much more fun when we have cook outs with our family now. The cabana is turning out to be a great place to read and sometimes have coffee and tea in the morning and evening. It has a rather high dome and my hubby helped me hang an ornate tea light holder in the center of it. Then he attached a small piece of rope to it in such a way that I can easily pull it up or down to light a tea light at my own discretion. We also added a rug for Charli because she doesn't like to lay on the cold cement. There you have it ladies, a very simple and relatively inexpensive solution to having a screened in porch.
On days when we go to Brandenburg Park or other places where Charli has to stay home alone we have the perfect way to make it up to her. Charli loves frozen custard and ice cream! Of course she can only have a little bit and we never give her anything other than vanilla. Sometimes we take her to Erma's, a local custard stand, or we give her some ice cream here at home. Charli is such a little Diva that she even has her own, just the right size, glass ice cream bowl. When she sees me get it out or the ice cream out of the freezer she spins around in circles because she knows she is going to get a special treat.

After Charli is finished with her cusard or ice cream all is forgiven again :>)



















Does your little pooch like ice cream? I would love to hear from you. I hope all of you have had a great weekend ♥
I look forward to visiting with you.
With warmest regards, Carol











15 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Oh how very nice. I really liked your picture. The one at sunset is particularly pretty! Well done! Cathy

Vee said...

That sounds so nice that I want a cabana, too. Screened in really is more pleasant especially in the evenings when the bugs are on the move. I know a lot of ice cream loving dogs!

little princess Luna~ said...

beautiful and yummy~!!

xo,
luna

Anne said...

Your cabana looks so lovely and the icecream sundaes look so yummy. That Charli is something else. I bet she just loves her icecream with a little doggy bisquit on top.

Maggie Mae said...

Just lovely :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

MyThoughtsMyVoice said...

Hello Carol,

Oh wouldn't it be nice to go in the porch in the evening and get cozied up! :-) We don't have one either. But at this time, I can't imagine being out in the evening - too cold! LOL

Isn't Charlie one lucky pup. Vanilla ice cream is a yum so I imagine the bowl is wiped clean after serving :-)

MIzpah,
Li

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good moring dear Carol! What an ingenius solution! Our men are so good and willing too, to come up with some ideas for the home. Living outdoors as much as we can before the long winters strike is a goal that we all have. I love it; we are like children, wanting to be out in the fresh air to play and enjoy God's beauty. I love that Charli loves ICE CREAM! I don't have a dog, but after we do our addition, which is going to start in a couple of weeks, we are looking at getting either a Westie, a Cairn or a Wheaten Scottie!!! My dream dog is a yellow lab, but even with a home addition, THEY ARE TOO BIG! Then, there is a fox wire haired terrier....cute as can be, but too scrappy!! He or she would NOT accept that we would be gone so many hours during the school year. I so look forward to having a dog.

ENJOY THAT CABANA to the hilt, Carol! And thank you for your visit! Anita

Madeline's Album said...

The ice cream looks so good. I know Charli enjoyed hers. She is such a lucky dog having you for her owner. Your pictures of the cabana are great. Enjoy it. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Happyone :-) said...

Very nice and what a great idea to make your own little screened in porch.
You just have to love a dog that loves ice cream!! :-)

Knitty said...

Great solution to your cabana! Our dogs always loved ice cream too, as do I. Too much so!

Shelley said...

I love your cabana idea - sounds like a wonderful retreat! Glad Charli gets her comfortable resting place too - ha,ha! I've never given Scout ice cream. Do you give Charli special doggy ice cream or just regular people kind?

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a neat idea, Carol! I think a cabana sounds like fun. I would want it to be screened to keep out the bugs. Love that cute, cute tray, too!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Wanda..... said...

Your cabana sounds clever and looks wonderful Carol! I have a gazebo I enjoy in the same way, when the heat wave and humidity aren't hanging around!

SmilingSally said...

Charli sure lives the GOOD LIFE! What a nice one you are to treat her to custard ice cream.

Rose said...

What a "sweet" idea!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails