Saturday, August 14, 2010

'If I Had My Life To Live Over'.....


'If I Had My Life To Live Over'

A friend and I were talking about life one day as friends some times do. We were both agreeing with one another that one of the more important things in life is to be able to have a sense of balance. My friend is a physician and he shared the following poem with me. He said one of the professors handed it out to his class on his very first day of medical school. It's a poem that really left an impression on him and I thought it was worth sharing with all of you.



"If I had my life to live over
I'd relax, I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
I would take fewer things seriously
I would take more chances.

I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers.
I would eat more ice cream and less beans.
I would perhaps have more actual troubles,
but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.
You see, I'm one of those people who live
sensibly and sanely hour after hour,
day after day.
Oh, I've had my moments,
And if I had it to do over again,
I'd have more of them.
In fact, I'd try to have nothing else.
Just moments, one after another,
instead of living so many years ahead of each day.
I've been one of those people who never goes any where
without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute.
If I had it to do over again, I would travel lighter than I have.
If I had my life to live over,
I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.
I would go to more dances.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds.
I would pick more daises."
-Nadine Stair-
85 years old
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

14 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW. To live more in the PRESENT, than living in the past (which can be depressing, anger-provoking for some) or in the future, which can bring on a lot of stress of the unknown. The PRESENT...we do miss so much. BALANCE is the right dose in this case.....thank you, Carol! Have a lovely Sunday, Anita

Madeline's Album said...

Thank you Carol for sharing this poem with us. It hit home for me. Have a blessed day. Madeline

3 doxies said...

Oh my mum has read dis befores and loooves it. Her has a hard time balancing life out...her be's kinda lop sided anyways but her is working on it. Her might be okays if her would just stop THINKING so much...hehehe!

Hey Charlie!

Puddles

Brenda Eason said...

So glad I came to visit girl! I needed this. Im still trying to live ahead and wonder what and who I will spend my later years with...you know they may never come so I better live today!

Happyone :-) said...

Great advice. I've tried to live my life like this!

Queenie said...

What a beautiful poem, thanks for sharing it...hope you have a beautiful day :)
Big hugs,
Queenie

Pam said...

Great poem and so trye!

jen said...

What a beautiful poem.
It really makes you think' thanks for sharing.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

How true it is.. Life is short, one must soak up every moment and enjoy...
Thank you for the beautiful post Carol.. Give Charli a hug.
Blessings,
Penny

Michael said...

God Bless you for posting such a motivational poem! I really enjoyed it! (and hopefully learned something from it)

JG said...

Enjoy life!

That is a good poem.

Maggie Mae said...

Dis is a wunderful poems, one of my moms favorites!

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Pees Hi Charli!

George the Lad said...

Nice poem and makes alot of sense,
I have to say I have got more layed back with age, and enjoy the smaller things in life. Yes one of them is George!
Jan

♥ Kathy said...

That is so beautiful Carol! Thank you for sharing it with us ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails