Thursday, August 12, 2010

An impromptu get together......


An impromptu get together!

I love get togethers that just sort of happen. That's exactly what took place last month when several of my neices called to see if I would like to go out for coffee or tea. These three neices happen to be very busy young women. They are all nurses, working twelve hour shifts, some of them over time, and raising familys besides. Tracy lives in Traverse City and works as a float nurse. She goes to all areas of the hospital when there is a crisis or she is needed for any other reason. Lara works in the cardiac ICU of a major hospital here in our area and Linnea is a labor and delivery nurse. Instead of going out I suggested they come to my house so we could all kick back and relax. Because of their busy schedules these three sisters, who are all very close with one another, barely have time to see each other much less me. I feel very honored and blessed that they have always included me in their lives ♥
With Lara coming off of a twelve hour shift we met at eight o'clock in the evening and as always we had a wonderful time together. There was a lot of hugging, laughing, sharing funny stories, catching up on family news, and of course, just a little talk about nursing and the health care situation. Even though I've been retired for three years I can still hold my own in those lively kinds of conversations LOL
I thought you might like to see my tablescape so I decided to share it here with you. The Roses for the centerpiece are from one of my flower gardens. I love having fresh flowers and I have plently of them during the summer months.

Remember the post I wrote a while back about Knitty over at 'Lazy Days and Sundays' sharing some of her labels with us? Well, these are the labels I made. Aren't they a darling way to dress up a little tea bag? I make tea labels a head of time, place them on my tea bags, and then store the tea bags in an air tight container. Luckily for me I still had some because I tend to use them all the time. My neices really got a kick out of this little added touch.








And what would an impromptu tea be with out one of my very own tea bells? Our darling Anne at 'Peek-a-Boo Street' gave me yet another novel idea of how to use my very small but pretty collection of bells. I wouldn't have tea now without one :>)
I painted these wooden flowers last spring. I think they look very spring and summery. I have used them a lot for a variety of parties all summer long.
Every thing looked very pretty when I lit the candles and filled the center platters with finger foods and desserts but I was so busy visiting with my nieces I forgot to take any pictures.
Since it was a summer tablescape I also used my little glass frogs as decorations. They always look so bright and cheery, especially in candle light.



And what about Charli? Well, when my nieces arrived she was being a real stinker! She wouldn't stop barking, and after a couple of scoldings, I put her in time out. After several minutes I noticed she was out and about again. My hubby apparently let her out and had a nice long talk with her. He said, he told Charli, she had to be very quiet and well mannered for the rest of the night or she would have to stay down stairs with him and she wouldn't be able to visit with the girls. Do you know she was! She was such a little angel and so well behaved! My nieces just love her and made quite a fuss. Pretty soon Charli jumped up on my lap and by the end of the evening she had taken center stage. That dog really knows how to work a crowd!!!

We had a wonderful evening and I know a good time was had by all ♥










My beautiful nieces Linnea, Tracy, and Lara ♥ I love you with all my heart !!!
I hope all of you enjoyed seeing my tablescape and hearing a little bit about a very special impromptu family get together.
I have a question for you.... Do you prefer well thought out and planned events or would you rather they be spontaneous? I would love to hear from you.
I hope all of you are enjoying your day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

11 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

This made my day, visiting here at your blog and seeing yet another one of your beautifully done tablescapes with lots of little special touches that tell your guests that you really do care about them. Your neices are so fortunate to have your for an aunt. It inspired me today, to take time to do a similar thing for my neices. Your table looked so lovely! And, once again Charli endeared herself to me. What a litte charmer she is. I would have loved hearing what it was that your husband told her. She listened well.

As for your question, I do not have a preference. I so enjoy thought-our planned events, and I so enjoy promptu, last minute type events. What means the most to me, is just time spent being together with family and friends. Good question.

Happyone :-) said...

Your table looks beautiful. Glad you all got to spend a happy time together.
I like impromptu get togethers best. They are usually the ones where you have the best times.

Vee said...

Carol, what a wonderful aunt you are who can have such a lovely impromtu gathering of the nieces. How amazing that they all followed in your footsteps. I'm so glad that Charli got a grip and was able to enjoy the evening as well.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

HEE! Your husband has powers beyond understanding with CHARLI! My husband says people listen to ME, so he has me talking with our builder.....some of us have strange ways of making others do things!!!!! Your tea looks like it was so fun and perfect dear Carol. Enjoy the weekend dear friend. Anita

Rose said...

What a lovely setting! I have learned to like tea houses and tea parties even though I am mostly a coffee drinker! It's always wonderful to spend time with family. I have some possibly coming to visit over Labor Day weekend (yet to be determined for sure or not). I am not a fantastic hostess like you, but I do know the best places to eat out! :-)

Pam said...

What a fun time! It all looks beautiful and bet it was great! It sounds like your niece's are wonderful and you are the best aunt! Impromptu works!

Madeline's Album said...

Your neices are just lovely. I am so glad you had a good time with them. The table setting is quite lovely. I am so glad Miss Charli decided to be a good girl. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Micki said...

Your table setting is gorgeous and your neices are beautiful!
Micki

MARIA said...

I missed you Carol
and my visit here was a good time for my soul.
Your neices are beautiful!

I rather prefer well thought out and planned events than be spontaneous. But sometimes ...spontanous is better.

My best wishes to you my dear friend!

♥ Kathy said...

I'm a big planner and a little obsessive over everything being just right :) Your nieces are just beautiful Carol! I've missed you!

Queenie said...

What a beautiful table setting...love the bells at the table idea too! It sounds like a very special evening for you girls :)
Time with our loved ones is truly priceless gift...nothing quite compares :)
Big Hugs,
Queenie

Related Posts with Thumbnails