Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Loyd A. Stage Nature Center...


The Loyd A. Stage Nature Center....


Nestled in the heart of our city is the Loyd A. Stage Nature Center. It's a wonderful place for adults and children as well. Located on one hundred acres, with two miles of walking trails, adults and children have opportunities to learn about nature and enjoy the out doors. It's a perfect place for a picnic or a birthday party. There is a 'Cattail Cove Nature Shop' on site where you can browse for unusual and nature inspired items. If you like, the center offers scavenger hunt sheets which make exploration on the trails even more fun. They welcome scouts of all levels and host a 'Scout It Out' badge program. The center also offers many school out reach programs. Some of the exhibits at the center include the 'Aqua-Water', 'Honey Bee Observation Hive', and 'The American Mastodon Discovery Dig'. There is even an area where adults and children can climb boulders if they are so inclined.
Recently my hubby, our grandson Ryan, and myself headed over to the center to see what we could see. It was a very pretty day for a walk in the woods.









When we arrived at the nature center we discovered that the main building was closed so we headed out on the trails. Do you see the boulders?











As we were walking along on the trails my hubby kept teasing Ryan about seeing a deer or a bear. Then Ryan said he saw a deer and I thought he was kidding as well. When I looked to my left I was pleasantly surprised because there it was!














The park is just beautiful and very clean. Volunteers work had to take care of it. The center also hosts an event called 'River Day' when the whole community is invited to come out and get involved.















As we were walking along I noticed two trees in the distant that were sparkling and shimmering in the sun light. It looked as though the trees had beautiful glowing blue leaves. I have never seen anything like it. It was absolutely amazing how gorgeous it was! As we got closer, suddenly thousands of winged things (I'm sorry but I don't know what they are called) flew up into the air and then slowly fluttered back down landing on the trees again. I don't think I've ever seen anything as beautiful as this! I couldn't capture them in flight but I was able to snap a close up of one of them.


















We didn't see any water life but deers and butterflies were every where....



































We really enjoyed our time there. I wanted to take Ryan back to search for bats which is another program the center offers. Apparently everyone meets in the evening to learn about bats. Then with flashlights in hand they walk the trails in the dark in search of bats. I thought it would be so much fun but our little Ryan wanted no part of that. He said, "Grandma, don't you know bats bite?" No matter how hard I tried to convince him I knew there was no way he was going to do it. Well, there is always next year :>)
I hope you enjoyed coming along with us to the nature center.
Thank you so much for all of the kind comments, e-mails, and prayers for my husband. He is home and doing well. In fact, we are both going to our grandson Tommy's first foot ball game tonight. GO COUGARS!!!
Charli has not liked staying home alone at all but I have a surprise for her which I think she will enjoy.
I hope all of you are having a lovely day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

16 comments:

George the Lad said...

Thanks for sharing your day out, and to get so close to the deer, lovely photos, don't know what the flying thing is, we have damsel flys over here that look a bit like that, but they seem to always fly around ponds.
As for bats mom loves them, and Halloween is coming up.
See Yea George xxx

JG said...

What an enjoyable stroll! The Nature Center in your area must offer many fascinating programs.

Hope your hubby is feeling well.

Football season is here! :)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

SOOOO happy to know husband is on the mend....and what a wonderful nature getaway...the perfect thing for recovery. And Charli is gonna love her surprise!!! Have a great weekend dear, Anita

Just a little something from Judy said...

What beautiful places your state has to offer. This Nature Center is so well maintained and I like that it is done by volunteers. I think it was special that the three of you got to spend time together. You have ways of creating fond memories for your grandson.

Madeline's Album said...

I really enjoyed the stroll with you though the nature center. It was very educational and quite a beautiful place. Great pictures. Glad to hear your husband is on the mend. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Micki said...

What a gorgeous place! I loved seeing the deer!
Micki

Knitty said...

I am glad to hear your hubby is feeling better.

Thanks for sharing the photos and location of this nature center. My grandson won't be ready for this for a while, but two of my nieces have children of a perfect age for this adventure.

MARIA said...

Really you had an amazing and lovely day.
I also enjoyed my time being here.

Have a great, blessed Sunday my dear friend!

Miss Gracie's House said...

What a beautiful place to visit!
Rene

Michael said...

Thank you for sharing those pictures! Hope your husband is doing well!

God Bless you!

GrandmaK said...

What grand pictures...and the deer!! Wow! Well done! Cathy

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Thank You so much for sharing a wonderful day with us... I love Nature Centers. Kids (and adults) can learn SO much.... Love seeing the deer..

We have bats here. In fact, we've caught them sleeping in the daytime in our Bluebird box. We need to put up a Bat House.

Hope your hubby is feeling well now.

Hugs,
Betsy

SmilingSally said...

That was a terrific experience with Ryan. What a good memory you had.

Shelley said...

I hope your husband is doing well. That nature center looks like my kind of place - so glad you all got to see some deer! I always think it's a magical moment when you see them.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello dearest Carol and Charli! Thank you for coming by to say hello; and yes, Mimi is a dear for getting us together to write about our passions for livin'.....decorating, cooking, WHATEVER! HEEEE....I see this GEORGE THE LAD LOOKING AT ME AS I TYPE and he makes me laugh....enjoy your week dear Carol! Anita

Rose said...

What a lovely place for a walk! Nice capture too! And I agree with Ryan... no bats! :-) Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails