Thursday, September 23, 2010

'The 'Rag Time Street Fair' at Greenfield Village


The 'Rag Time Street Fair' at Greenfield Village





















































































Having grown up in an area very close to the Henry Ford Greenfield Village, I have been fortunate to be able visit there during all of the various seasons. I have visited at Christmas and Halloween which proofed to be very fun experiences. Although I have taken several school trips to Greenfield Village as a child I have especially enjoyed the village as an adult. It is truly an American experience. There are many interesting demonstrations going on all of the time from glass blowing to candlestick making. Here you can listen to tales from Huckleberry Finn or see an old fashion baseball game. I have been in and out of the homes and buildings so many times I have lost track of the count. As a young adult I used to like to go there sometimes as often as weekly to sit by the pond and leisurely enjoy all of the sights and sounds. It's a great place to relax and unwind. I don't go to the Henry Ford Village as much as I used to because I prefer the small village and historical museum here in my own home town. I like the close proximity, it's much less expensive, and it offers many wonderful programs and events as well. However, I do like to sometimes go back to Greenfield Village for special programs and events such as the 'Ragtime Street Fair.'

Here are just a couple of the ways you can travel through the village. I especially like the horse and buggy rides.














There are always friendly people who can direct or guide you along your way.














'The 'Ragtime Street fair' takes place in the center of town and is very much like a festival or fair would be in any small American town across the United States.





You can take impromptu dance lessons if you like or pull up a chair and listen to some good old Rag Time music. There is also a Dixieland Jazz Parade that is scheduled at different times through out the weekend.

If you prefer to walk away from the center of town you can enjoy a stroll through timeless streets where you will see wonderful old historic homes, pass by a lovely stone edged pond, or walk over a quaint covered bridge.There are also many beautiful gardens to stroll through. Where ever you go through out the village you can hear the comings and goings of the train as it clanks, chugs, and whistles along the tracks. It's one of the things I look forward to most at the village.















































The guy in the picture below is having fun on his old fashioned bicycle.







The center of town is bustling with activity as chickens and ribs are grilled, corn roasted, and fresh vegetables sold. You can also purchase frozen custard, popcorn, candy cotton, and peanuts, as well as a number of different kinds of cold drinks.






Below are some ladies trying to get women the vote.






















The thing I love most about the village is that every where you look people are talking and having fun. To me, there is just no better way to spend an afternoon.


Poor Charli had to spend yet another day home alone but we made it up to her later that day.
I hope all of you have a lovely day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

GrandmaK said...

A number of years ago we took a vacation trip to Greenfield Village over the 4th of July!!! It is a wonderful experience isn't it!!?!! I'm linking this wonderful post to today's Adventure Tour Express. This is GRAND! Cathy

Madeline's Album said...

Sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Your pictures are great I enjoyed your narration it was like I was there with you. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Happy@Home said...

It's been a lot of years since I have been to Greenfield Village. Would love to go back. This street fair looks like a great way to spend a day. Thanks for sharing.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest Carol! We missed you! What a wonderful event this must have been. I just love all the authentic costumes, horse and carriages and other things that take you back to a simpler time. I am home sick today with laryngitis; it makes no sense to try to teach 50 fourth graders with no voice! Give a hug to Charli! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

ohhhhh, thank you for visiting me sweet RN! I am trying to be quiet, drink tea, and wait for my BIG VOICE to come back!

Blessings, Anita

Vee said...

I've spent some happy time here this morning taking closer looks at the beautiful homes and enjoying the costumes. It just feels joyous here today...perhaps it's the music and the looks on all these faces. Thanks, Carol!

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

What a quaint little village. I love places like this. I have never been here but it sounds like a wonderful place to visit.
Valerie

BALLET NEWS said...

WOW ! Those outfits.... THAT CYCLE !!!! holey moley !!!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Carol
What a treat this was for me... This is a place I would love to visit. Your photos are great! Looks like you had a wonderful time.. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Enjoy your weekend. Give Charli a hug!
Penny

JG said...

Oh what fun!!! Thanks for sharing your pics!!! What a great way to learn about history - visiting an historical village. I felt like I was walking along with you.
~Judy

Just a little something from Judy said...

What a special visit this post provided for me today, to an event that I was not familiar with. The narration and the pictures almost took me back in time to this era. I can understand why you used to enjoy visiting it all on a weekly basis. So much history and beauty in one village. I like how they continue to dress the part, the menus that they serve, and the horse drawn carriages. Thanks for sharing another one of your interesting adventures with us.

Rose said...

Wow! Carol, that looks like it was awesome to attend! Reminds me of a village at Mumford, NY... I love those old things! Life in a simpler (although not easier) times.

Related Posts with Thumbnails