Sunday, October 17, 2010

'Are you ready for some football?'


'Are you ready for some football?'

Well, Michigan lost the game this weekend but my hubby liked the football menu this week.
I decided to make a clam chowder. I found a wonderful chowder recipe at http://www.food.com/ and then made a few changes to make it my own.
2 tablespoon butter
1 cup diced onions
1/4 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 cup chopped leeks
1 clove chopped garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1 quart whole milk
2 can chopped or minced clams with juice
1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white ground pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, leeks, and garlic. Saute for three minutes mixing often.
Remove from heat and stir in the flour, mixing well. Add milk and whisk well.
Drain the clams and add the juice to the soup. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce the heat to simmer. Then add the seasoning and the potatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add clams and simmer an additional 5-8 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the cream. Season again with black ground pepper and salt to taste.

In addition to the clam chowder I served cheesy biscuits and a orange cranberry salad.

I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend.
Happy Sweetest day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

11 comments:

Mildred said...

My hubby watched the MI game too. He also loves clam chowder so I really appreciate this recipe. I love your blog's Halloween theme!

♥ Sallie said...

Yummy! And I agree. Great background!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Carol!

I'm sorry that you all lost your game, but I bet that chowder went a long way toward making the loss more "palatable". ;-)

Hope all is well. I'm trying to get back into posting, and I saw this come up on my reader. Glad I stopped by for a bowl!

Love to Charli...

XO,

Sheila :-)

GrandmaK said...

Clam chowder is a standard here just any time. It's family tradition we started when we lived in CA 38 years ago!!! Oh how good that sounds right now! Well done! Cathy

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Leeks do the trick for Clam Chowda....I lived in Boston for 11 years and that is what is necessary! And the potatoes are a must! What a fabulous menu, regardless of the score! ENJOY EVERY DAY DEAR CAROL! Anita

Madeline's Album said...

So sorry your team lost. I love clam chowder and I appreciate your posting this recipe. Had a great weekend and am looking forward to a great week. Have a blessed day. Madeline.

Michael said...

Sorry about the game - but thanks for sharing the recipe! Cant wait to try it!

Ann Nichols said...

At least he had a really great meal! that had to ease the pain of loosing the game!
Ann
PS Looks yummy!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

CAROL! CHARLI! You two are sweet as pie, and keep that basket filled to the brim! I bet Charli has lots of things up her little sleeve for HALLOWEEN!!! MWAHHHHHHHH!

JG said...

Oh yes! We are always ready for some football here!!! :)

Our BC Eagles also lost. We are ready for next Saturday...

Your Clam Chowder sounds so good for these chilly evenings. Yummy! Thanks!
~Judy

SmilingSally said...

Oh Carol, this would be the best meal! I adore clam chowder, and I already have a cheesy biscuit recipe.

Please come see my outside shots. You won't believe it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails