Monday, October 25, 2010

A football season comes to an end...


A football season comes to an end...

As those of you know who follow this blog our grandson Thomas was on the varsity high school football team this year. After receiving an invitation from him to come to his games, my hubby and I didn't want to miss any of them. We have been so excited! We have had a wonderful time rooting for our grandson and his team!
This was the first time either my hubby or myself had been to any high school football games since we were in school ourselves which was a very long time ago. Our son's and our grandson Michael attended many of their games but none of them were ever interested in actually playing.
If you are older, and haven't had the opportunity to attend a high school football game recently, I encourage you to do so because you will be amazed at how much things have changed! At least, at our grandson's high school they have. Even though I truly loved attending my high school football games, and rooting our beloved Polar Bears on, these days high school football is over the top! The first thing I noticed is that there is so much more parental involvement than when I went to school. Parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles all come to the games. The parents volunteer for all sorts of things from making sandwiches for the football players to eat after they're six am daily work outs, to selling tickets, team booklets, working the concession stands, and selling tee shirts and other team inspired clothing at the games. It has become a very expensive commodity to support these high school football teams.
The pictures I'm sharing in this post were taken during homecoming weekend. Many of the students decorate they're cars for homecoming now and the parents have actual tail gate parties in the parking lot prior to every game.

The homecoming parade route covered approximately a two and a half mile radius with the police and fire department involved as well. It was absolutely amazing!





Each class designs and builds a float. We didn't even have floats at our homecoming games. That's how old I am! Today there are electronic score boards, announcer boxes, and rolls upon rolls of steel bleachers. In additions to bands, and cheer leaders, schools now have dance teams.


























Many of the football fields are made out of artificial turf instead of grass. Do you see that wonderful track the kids have to run on? Our grandson has three different football uniforms and the cheer leaders have three different uniforms as well. During the season, as they support a different cause, the dance team and the cheer leaders wear a different shirt over they're uniforms with the logo of what they are supporting that week written on it.














There is even a street sign called Cougar Boulevard!
















My hubby and I were very happy that we got to share in this truly wonderful experience! The Cougars did a fantastic job! There was such a great display of sportsmanship on the field! We enjoyed seeing all of the school spirit and comradery that the high school students have.
Do you remember attending your high school football games? If so, I would love to hear from you.
As much as we will miss attending the games, Charli for one is glad they are over. Some how she knew which days we were going to the games and from early morning her anxiety level heightened. She would pout and pace all day long. Every time we left for the game, there she would be, standing in our window with a broken hearted expression on her face. That little girl really knows how to lay on the guilt when she wants too :>)
I hope all of you are having a wonderful week ♥
With warmest regards, Carol


7 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dear one. Charli DOES now how to turn on the "hurt puppy face" doesn't she? Those canines are smarter than most people think!!!! GREAT PHOTOS! It reminds me of the wonderful times I had in high school going to the games and having just good old fun. ENJOY THIS DAY! Anita

Vee said...

What good grandparents you are to get out there and cheer Thomas on! I was out cheering my grandson on at his last soccer game and thought a bit wistfully that it was going to be a long 14 years to graduation (he's only four). Ha! It's not always easy sitting out in the weather.

Madeline's Album said...

What great photos. My best friend and I used to sell tickets for the football games when I was in high school (and that has been quite some time. I have gone to my grandson football games and like you said I did enjoy them. Thanks for your visit to my blog. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

I went to the football games when I was in high school. There was so much socialization and someone was always going somewhere afterward so it never ended right after the game and usually went into the wee hours of the morning. I am sure my mom would have loved cell phones back then. We would have to call from pay phones to update her on where we were and who we were with. Fun times for sure!
Valerie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I think you need to dress Charli up as a cougar and make her the team mascot, Carol. That would get her into the games! ;-)

Yes, football in the South is big, and I went to games when my sister was in high school and when I was, too. We also went to all the college games. Our whole town participated in the homecoming parades (each high school class had their own float), and I would always help on my sister's float. When we moved to the city, they didn't have floats.

I was elected to be on the dance team (the one at the school where I wanted to go was award-winning... they did routines like the Rockettes, and I think their director might have been a Rockette at some point in her life), but I wasn't able to go to that school because we had forced bussing with that school no longer being in the district where I lived. That was in the early 70's.

I have had relatives who have both cheered, danced on teams, and played football, but they live so far away I don't make it to the games. I still like going to college games, though.

I know you must be so proud of Thomas! This looks like an absolute blast, and the weather looks good, too! Go Cougars!

XO,

Sheila :-)

♥ Kathy said...

aww Peaches has that pitiful look down too lol poor Charli, I bet she is happy the games are over. I loved all those floats! They are really talented designing them :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

You sure did bring back some fun and wonderful memories for me as I read this post. You are right, things sure have changed since our high school days. Your grandson is so fortunate to have you two care and be so involved with cheering at his football games. I look forward to the day when my grandchildren are that age and I can be there to cheer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails