Monday, October 4, 2010

Fun in Petoskey, Michigan......


Fun in Petoskey, Michigan...


Recently my hubby and I decided to take a little trip to Petoskey, Michigan to visit my brother and sister-in-law and I thought it would be fun to share some of our trip with all of you. I also have a Petoskey story to share as well. My husband and I used to vacation in the beautiful and charming town of Petoskey occasionally during the summer months when I was working and we wanted to get away. We would always stay at the Perry Hotel right there in the heart of town. I have always loved being near the water. Well, one year back in the early nineties I decided I would like to live there. I contacted the Burn Center, who in turn contacted my employer, and I was hired into the hospital per a phone conference and faxed resume. I was ecstatic about it but when I told my hubby he was not so sure. His employer was in the area where we live now and there was really no possibility of transferring. I was sure that some how we could work it out and in the process of all of the move or not move discussions my brother and sister-in-law happened to drop by. The four of us spent hours looking at all of the pros and the cons of the move. In the end it was I who relented and decided the move just wouldn't be practical or realistic for us at that time. However, based on all of the wonderful things I shared with my brother and sister-in-law about the beauty of and things to do in the town they decided to take a little trip there themselves. And guess what? They fell in love with the town too and actually bought a home there. In recent years they have spent their time living either in Ann Arbor or back in Petoskey.
I have always thought of Petoskey as my home away from home but I don't know if I could adjust to the winters there now that I have experienced them or to be that far away from my children and grandchildren. I could name a million things that I love about the town here but I will limit it to one. Petoskey is very dog friendly. Dogs are allowed just about every where and that makes the town even more special for me.
Taking a dog on a trip requires much thought and planning, especially in Charli's case. She has to have her toys, her sweaters, her food, her bowls, her long and short leash, her food and treats. None of us would get any sleep at all, if God forbid, we were to forget her fleece blanket so I like to keep every thing in a travel bag so it is easily accessible. Charli's travel bag is pictured above. She is such a little diva isn't she.

Here, we are pulling into the town of Wolverine on our way to Petoskey. As you can see the leaves are turning colors. It was a very pretty fall day. As surprising as it may seem Charli loves to travel in the car. We stopped to pick up my brother and sister-in-law and then headed into town. We had so many things planned that we didn't get a chance to go to the lamp light district this time but we did take Charli for a walk along the board walk in town.



Here you can find some of those Petoskey stones everyone talks about. The Petoskey stone is actually a corral that has been a fossilized. They are very unique and beautiful. The stones can be found along the shores of lake Huron and Lake Michigan. Searching for these stones has become a popular summer past time for many people in Northern Michigan. I have posted an image link in case you would like to see what some of them look like.
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=1277&bih=525&q=petoskey+rocks&rlz=1R2GGLL_enUS355&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=nD-qTNH_IYegnQeI49DVDQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CEQQsAQwBQ












The water is very clear and pristine here. There is no fishy smell like you can find on some of the other lakes. To take a walk along the board walk is very refreshing and it's just beautiful beyond words.




























I will share some more of my trip in future posts. In addition to our trip I have been campaigning to keep our local library open.
I think I may have worked out the clitches with blogger. For a very minimum fee I have purchased some addition space here for my photos. I am hoping that this will solve the currant issues I have been having here on my blog but only time will tell. Today was decorating day at our house as I put up most of my Halloween decorations. What about you? Are you getting ready for Halloween?
I hope what ever it was you did today all of you had a wonderful day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol


11 comments:

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I love that town!
Hubby and I were there two summers ago. It is just the most beautiful charming place!
And I love all the petunias they plant in the summer.
Great Post!
Cindy

Sheva said...

WOW!!! These pics are lookin more than awesome. I think we should always try something new with our cameras because it makes vision more broader and gives us a new way to think about normal things in a new way which makes ourself more inclined towards the God and I think it is the best way to show the gratitude to him. Thanks a lot for your post.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dear Carol! LOVELY PICTURES of a beautiful part of your state! Enjoy every moment of this fabulous season! HOw is Charli? Anita

Madeline's Album said...

What a charming town. Your pictures are great. Glad you got your difficulty with blogging solved. I have all my Halloween decorations up inside and outside the house. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Vee said...

Beautiful photos, Carol. No wonder you love that community so well.

I had to laugh at how labor intensive it is to travel with Charli. Molly, my mother's dog, is now staying with us and can not go with my mom to her new home, unless a certain granddaughter relents. Mother has taken it into her head that I should love to have Molly permanently, but after the day of traveling we had yesterday, I really don't think I want to commit to life with a dog. Cats are soooo much easier and Fioré is every bit as loving and she doesn't weigh as much.

sunshine said...

That Charli is just too much. LOL

The town looks lovely! I'm glad that you had a nice time. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Shelley said...

Carol - I love Petoskey too! (In fact, you and Charli were only about 25 minutes from my cabin! Maybe next spring Scout and I could come meet you two in town.) Loved the photos and how nice that you have family there to visit!

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

Hi Carol,
Petoskey looks beautiful! It is always nice to find places that are dog friendly. Very fun that your brother and sister-in-law have place there and that you can visit them at the same time. Beautiful lake.
Valerie

SmilingSally said...

What a beautiful place, Carol. No wonder you consider it home.

South Florida has coral rock in abundance too, so I'm familiar with that.

Just a little something from Judy said...

After reading down through all of your most recent posts and seeing all of your beautifully captured pictures, I have decided that I am going to move to Petoskey:) What a quaint and charming place. I found this to be most interesting. And, I also enjoyed hearing about all you go through is packing for little Charli. She certainly is a diva. I love hearing facts about her. Great posts.

Jane said...

Hi there!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Petoskey to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane

Related Posts with Thumbnails