Saturday, October 30, 2010

A spooktacular surprise and a very Happy Halloween!


A spooktacular surprise and a very happy Halloween!

I know all of you have been busy getting ready for Halloween and here at our house there is no exception. Yesterday was the day I made my mom's happy face cupcakes. It is a very simple tradition but one that I have cherished and made for my own family the past forty five years. My mother started this tradition when my brother, sister, and I were very small children. I honestly don't know where the idea came from. Every year she would bake these sweet little cupcakes for our school Halloween parties, and to serve to our aunts and cousins when all of us returned home after collecting our candy on Halloween. My mother would spread out blankets in our living room and after she and my aunts inspected our candy they would go into the kitchen to have coffee, tea, and cupcakes while all of us cousins traded and bartered for candy. After we were finished we would each get one of these darling little cupcakes of our own.

For me these happy face cupcakes are what the holiday is all about. Recently I found a picture I took way back in the sixties. There they are! My little cupcakes! We must have had a late Halloween party that year because I noticed the month that the picture was taken on was November. I wish I could find some of those darling witches to add to the plates of cupcakes I make yesterday. I remember giving plates of cupcakes to all of our neighbors that year.





Yesterday Charli and I received the most awesome surprise in the mail! It was a Happy Halloween card from our good friends Scout and Shelly! Isn't Scout adorable ♥ Thank you so much Shelly and Scout! That was so sweet! My hubby is so funny. He was looking at the card, and said, "Who would have thought? Now the little diva is getting cards on the holidays!" http://logcabininmichigan.blogspot.com/

Shelly actually has several blogs that are absolutely wonderful but I have provided the link to the one that features her beautiful log cabin. You will find Scout in these posts as well. Scout and Charli are just the best of friends. I hope all of you will stop over to visit them. Charli and I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a happy, safe, and fun filled Halloween! We will be thinking of all of you as we head out to a Halloween party of our own this evening.
"OK, OK" Charli has been biting on the leg of my pants because she is so excited to show you her Halloween costume!
And here she is.... The little diva herself......




"Happy Halloween everybody!"































Happy Halloween everyone!!!!!!
With warmest regards, Carol
"Yes, yes Charli, your going to get a treat."

12 comments:

The Teacher's Pets said...

Oh my goodness! Charli is absolutely stunning in her Halloween outfit! What a cutie! There's no way she could ever spook anyone this weekend!

Happy@Home said...

Aww, Charli looks so cute in his Halloween costume. He poses so well too.
I loved reading about the history of your special cupcakes. What a special family tradition your mom started.
Happy Halloween to you and Charli.

George the Lad said...

I loved the story of the cup cakes thanks for sharing, Charli well you look beautiful, I do hope you got more than one treat and maybe a cup cake!
See Yea George xxx

my cup of tea said...

I also started a cupcake Halloween tradition with my children 22 years ago, my youngest is 17 now and I really miss the cupcake school parties and all the fun we had!
Charli is such a doll in her costume!
~Donna A~

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

YEEEEEEE! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS ALL YEAR! Our little Miss Candy Corn of 2010....Oh dear, this is way too fun. I also put up George the Lad on my sidebar with his scary vampire suit..this is hilarious! HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL! Anita

Madeline's Album said...

Your cup cake tradition is great, Charli looks so cute in her outfit. Thanks for your visit to may blog. Have a safe and happy Halloween. Madeline

♥ Kathy said...

Happy Halloween Carol & Charli & the whole gang :)

Pam said...

Aww! Charli is adorable in his little costume! Great story about your cupcakes also! Love the memories that some food brings back.

Ann Nichols said...

Charli is the cutiest!!
Happy All Saint's Day Eve!
Ann

Crystal Mary said...

Oh my goodness. Charlie is so cute and funny. I have a little dog very similar to him. His name is Monty and he actually tries to talk to us. His proudest moment is riding in the car with his head out of the window. He smiles and show his teeth or just sitting looking on while we talk his little teeth look like Bucky Beavers...LOL Your little man is so like him. They steal your heart away. God Bless Crystal

Shelley said...

I love your cupcake tradition - what a wonderful legacy to pass on - and a yummy one too!! Tell that Charli she is beautiful in her costume and is the best dressed fur pal we know! (DOn't tell the other doggies though!!)
Hugs from Shelley & Scout

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

The cupcakes are a wonderful tradition. What a fun picture from your childhood. Charli looks very festive in her Halloween costume. Glad she got a Halloween treat!
Valerie

Related Posts with Thumbnails