Wednesday, October 20, 2010

'"Stop Bullying Now!"....


'"Stop bullying now!'

In recent months we have all heard of young adults committing suicide because of bullying type behaviors. Bullying is more prevalent in our society than once was thought. It is not only in the elementary, middle school, high schools, and colleges, but it can also sometimes be seen in our own homes, the Internet, work places, hospitals, and extended care facilities where some of our most vulnerably reside. I believe this is a very serious problem and through zero tolerance and education we can effect change. As mothers, health care workers, and educators, through our blogging community, face book, and twitter pages we have a strong forum to get the word out. I found a wonderful site that has been developed for adults and children as well that I found quite interesting and helpful. I hope you will take the time to stop there and then pass the information along to your families and friends.
As I was thinking about this subject, and deciding what to post, I came across the following blog where a mother has written a letter to her daughter and then posted it here in our blog world for others to see. It is very well written and I couldn't have been said it any better. I hope you will take the time to read it and then pass along to someone you love.
With warmest regards, Carol

13 comments:

Happy@Home said...

I have just visited the 2 links you mentioned. I'm glad to see that there are sites out there trying to help deal with bullies. The letter from the mother to her daughter was well said. Somehow I think if some of the bullies had mothers like that the problem wouldn't be so bad. It makes me so sad to see this going on.
A very important subject you have posted on today.

fiberdoodles said...

This so needs to be mentioned often. I went to High School with a young man I have spent the last 28 years thinking about him. Wondering how he turned out, was he okay and was he still alive. He was a victim of bad boys constently bullying him. I recently found him on facebook and with lovely pictures of him and his family. Why people can be so cruel is beyond me but I am glad their are articles and information out there to constently reminds us this needs to stop. Thank you for your reminder :0)

Zona said...

Thank you for this. We don't have any little two-leggers yet but this is a topic that we all need to know about and the letter from the mom to her daughter was wonderful!

Wags,
Zona

Madeline's Album said...

A very very good post. I hope all you read it will do something about bullies. I read the letter the mother wrote to her daughter and really thought it was full of good advice. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

THANK YOU CAROL! I was having a conversation about this very thing today. It is a constant battle being an educator, but our society is going in the wrong direction, I think. It will take the efforts of every family and school to diminish this looming problem. Anita

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, I can't tell you how strongly I feel about this. Thank you for posting, and I will be sure to read it.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Knitty said...

Thank you for posting this! I am going to refer to this and to Vicky's blog either today or tomorrow.

I was sometimes the brunt of jokes in grade school and middle school, but nothing like what happens today. The pace of life was different then. A teacher or a parent was more likely to hear the nasty comment and reprimand the bully. Respect and fear of repercussion if that parent told your parents what you had done took care of some of the bullies.

All of us have some need to fit in, some more than others, and teens most definitely feel this fiercely.

Vicky Bell said...

Thank you so much for sharing my letter. I deeply appreciate the time and effort and implicit compliment, but most of all I am awed and humbled by the spread of this letter and hopeful that it has done some good. With warm regards, Vicky

Joan said...

I am going to share the two links with my family and friends. Thanks for posting them. Also, I am one of your new followers from Thankful FUR 3 Thursday Blog Hop! Please stop by and say hello.
Have a great day!
Joan & Jane Austen-Eyre

Vee said...

It was an excellent letter and reminds me of what we were always told concerning suicide: Suicide is a permanent fix for a temporary problem. Thank you for raising this issue, Carol.

Micki said...

Thanks for a great post...It is such an important topic.
Micki

♥ Kathy said...

Oh Carol, I just got done reading the letter on Vicky Bell's Blog. I'm just crying. I've been heartbroken over all the teen suicides lately (there were 5 from a single school in Ohio). I completely agree with everything she said.

Shelley said...

This is a cause near & dear to my heart. We had to pull my stepson out of the school he was at due to their lack of response to the bullying he was receiving. I am happy to say he is now thriving at his new school, has many friends and is very happy. Great post today!!!
P.S. Can I have your address? Scout would like to send Charli a little something for Halloween.... :-) My email is shelleyupnorth at gmail dot com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails