Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It may not be the Mayflower but I still think it's cute!


It may not be the Mayflower but I still think it's cute!

With out mentioning any names, last year I saw an advertisement in a catalog for a Mayflower ship centerpiece that was made out of felt. The store is some what upscale and the ship was quite expensive. Although I thought it would look darling in my home, or on my Thanksgiving table, I just couldn't justify spending all of that money.

Then this past summer, while walking through Michael's Craft Store, I happened across an unfinished pirate ship and I thought why not try to turn that into a ship to be used as a Thanksgiving decoration, a centerpiece for a small table, or on a buffet for the actual Thanksgiving meal. I bought the ship, popped off the skull and crossbones, and removed the cannon. After a light sanding, I painted it and added foam art stickers. I used fall leaves and 'Give Thanks' messages but there are all sorts of things available in foam art from pumpkins, to pilgrims, and even corn stalks. Wouldn't this be a great project to do with children! I have to say I think my little ship looks very festive indeed!

Give thanks....
"For the hay and the corn and the wheat that is reaped,
For the labor well done,
and the barns that are heaped,
For the sun and the dew and the sweet honeycomb,
For the rose and the song and the harvest brought home-
Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving!
For the trade and the skill and the wealth of our land,
For the cunning and strength of the workman's hand,
For the good that our artists and poets have taught,
For the friendship that hope and reflection have brought-
Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving!
For the homes that with purest affection are blest,
For the season of plenty and well-deserved rest,
For our country extending from sea unto sea;
The land that is known as the "Land of the free."
Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving!'
-Author Unknown-

Charli and I did a little Christmas shopping today. We went to one of her favorite stores, Pet Smart, where she picked out the presents for Sofie and Peeper. Charli actually wanted to keep them all for herself but she graciously agreed that we could put them away as long as she got a toy too. She is such a typical little diva!
I'M THANKFUL FOR my family. I'm thankful for my dear hubby, our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and also for all of the sweet animals we have been blessed with.
I hope all of you are having a lovely week ♥
With warmest regards, Carol


15 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

CAROL! A great TWEAKING project,indeed! I DO THIS ALL THE TIME. I see something really cool, but it is always too expensive. So, I make it myself! GOOD JOB and yes, there is sooooo much to be thankful for, and I too am grateful for the joys that only an animal can bring!!! PEACE, Anita

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

That looks PAWSOME!! Grrreat job!

Woofs and Kisses!
The Fiesty Three

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, first all thank you for your visits to my blog. Yes I believe we have shook them up and I for one am glad. I give thanks to my daughter, Deann, for my header. I just love the ship great idea and you did a great job on it. I also love the poem. I have so much to be thankful for this year and I thank God every night for my many blessings. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Vee said...

Carol, that's positively inspired! How very darling and what a good way to tell the Thanksgiving story in a meaningful way. I'm going to be looking for something along these lines!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Carol, what a great job you have done.. I can just see Charli in Pet Smart, picking out gifts. She is so sweet.. Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Penny

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Carol, the ship is SO cute. You just did a fabulous job, and I just loved your message. Do you have any idea how much your sweet spirit is like perfume here in the Land of Blog? Your family is certainly blessed to have you in it, just as we are blessed to count you as a friend. And I do number you and Charli among my blessings and am thankful for your friendship.

Speaking of Charli, love that picture of her with her little feather in her headdress, sitting by the pumpkin!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Micki said...

It is a wonderful project! It turned out so well, and it is quite the achievement!
Micki

Knitty said...

You did a great job! I will keep this in mind in case I see a pirate ship that needs a re-do.

JG said...

That is one great looking Mayflower! Very nice!
~Judy

Maggie Mae said...

What a good job you did! My mom has no talent fur stuff like dat, her goes to craft shows and buys what other peoples make! ;)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

PeeS Hi to my furiend Charli

Zona said...

That looks amazing! My mom is like Maggie Mae's... she has to go to the craft shows. I bet this would be a huge hit at one of those! Great work!

Wags,
Zona

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Carol! I so love to get a visit from you dear one! YES! OUR RENOVATION IS UNDER WAY and I am too excited. Yesterday we came home to find them putting up the cement block, the final stage before the FRAMING!!! WOOO HOOO! Give a fat squeeze to Charli dearest! Anita

Eileen said...

Great post, Carol! 'Love the job you did on the ship, it's a wonderful Fall centerpiece! Very unique!
And I loved the poem and reading your thankful Blessings too!

I hope you are enjoying a wonderful Fall and I hope you have a very Blessed Thanksgiving!
Love to you,
Eileen

MARIA said...

Dear Carol,
after reading your beautiful post
I understood more the depth of Thanksgiving.
I love your ship, really cute.
And I love this poem.

Blessings to you and your Family,
and of course
to Charli.

Michael said...

It looks great! nice job! And you had me laughing at Charli's Christmas shopping!!

God Bless!

Related Posts with Thumbnails