Sunday, November 7, 2010

Treasures!.....


Treasures!....

Recently Charli and me headed over to one of my favorite thrift stores here in our area. Charli, of course, was miffed when she was told she had to stay in the car, and especially, when she saw the big old dog that roams the thrift store during the day. You should have heard her howling! Sometimes that pooch can be so embarrassing!

While I was in the store, tucked a way in the corner, I found this beautiful package of hankies. How many of you can remember back in the days when these dainty little hankies were so popular? Well, according to the owner of the store they are making a huge come back. He told me in the last several weeks alone a lady had come in and bought several boxes to use in a report she was giving on vintage hankies for her college class. He said another lady came in and purchased seven boxes. She said she was going to give them out as favors at a wedding shower she was throwing for her daughter later that month.
Seeing this box, wrapped, with the word Mom on it made me kind of sad. I imagine that some sweet mother received this lovely gift, and like so many of us, cherished it so much that she tucked it away in a drawer and never gave herself the pleasure of using it. I can't imagine this mother ever wanting to part with such a beautiful treasure so I am assuming she may have died and this precious little gift then found itself discarded in a thrift shop. It served as a reminder to me that all of our pretty things should be used and enjoyed. As I stood there speculating about this little box I knew I had to bring these hankies home with me.
Once I had gotten the hankies home, I washed and pressed them. Then I started thinking of all of the fun things I could do with them.


Perhaps I could give them as a gift at one of the teas I enjoy hosting.




Maybe I could used them as a delicate napkin.




I think they would make a lovely napkin ring.



I could even fill them with candy and use them as a party favor.

I don't think these lovely napkins will ever mean as much to anyone as the person they were originally meant for, but perhaps, I could make someone happy by passing them along. What ever I decide to do with them I know this....
As much as we treasure our beautiful gifts, we should enjoy them ourselves, because they just might eventually wind up sitting on a shelf in a thrift shop like these beautiful hankies did.
I hope all of you have a beautiful week ♥
I'M THANKFUL for the life lessons my mother and my grandmother's taught me.
Happy Sunday everyone!
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Madeline's Album said...

What a lovely find. Thanks for the ideas on how one can use them. I have several boxes I picked up at yard sales and instead of just saving them I'll use them some how. Have a blessed Sunday. Madeline

Pam said...

Very pretty hankies! I remember the days when my grandmother and aunts all had them handy. Have a good day!

George the Lad said...

You came up with some good ideas for the hankies, and you say very wise words.
Have a good week
Jan and George xxx

Joan said...

What a beautiful post. And all of your ideas for using them are just as beautiful. Have a wonderful day.
Joan & Jane Austen Eyre

GrandmaK said...

What pretty hankies!!! Duchess doesn't like being left in the car either, but can't trust her not to be too nosy! Wishing you well! Cathy

The Teacher's Pets said...

I love thrift stores too and I know exactly where most of them are in New Hampshire! I think I was born in the wrong era b/c I treasure items from the past. Loved your idea to hand out candy as party favors by wrapping the candy in a hanky! Very clever!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Very pretty, Carol. I always enjoy vintage hankies. There are so many pretty ones. Glad you had luck finding ones you love.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning, beautiful! That Charli girl.....she needs to remember her manners! HAVE A FUN DAY WITH HER! Anita

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

Hi Carol,
Beautiful hankies. I agree that our beautiful cherished things should be used. I like all the ideas you had for your new hankies.
Valerie

JG said...

Such a great post! Old hankies are such keepsakes. I have two of my mom's.

What good advice - to use while treasuring the things we have. :)
~Judy

Eileen said...

Beautiful post! Beautiful treasures!
I just recently purchased some vintage Irish linen hankies, they were so pretty I couldn't resist!

I have a few that belonged to my grandmother too.

I use mine as doilies on end tables.

Enjoy yours!
And thanks for sharing!
Love to you,
Eileen

Just a little something from Judy said...

Vintage hankies are a real treasure to me. I too have special memories of my grandma and my mother using these. Your gift ideas are beautiful and I want to remember them for future uses.

Related Posts with Thumbnails