Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The town of Holly Dickens Festival........


The town of Holly Dickens Festival...


Just a little ways north of where I live is the quaint little town of Holly. The town was named Holly because of the numerous holly plants that grow in the area. It is a very small town but it's a town with a big heart. Every year, since 1975, the town has hosted an annual Dickens Festival. If you are looking for an over done and commercialized extravaganza then this Dickens festival is not for you but if you would like to step back in time for just a little while and enjoy the sites and sounds of an old fashioned Christmas then this is the place to be.

The historical Holly Hotel is reason enough to visit here. It's a place where you can have lunch, or dinner, and perhaps even tea. The hotel is host to many events and is famous for it's in resident ghost.

The Dickens Festival runs from the last week of November through December 18Th. Each week is a little different with this or that event taking place. http://www.dickensfestivalholly.org/
On festival days you an participate in some old fashioned games in front of the Holly Hotel if you wish.

The town also has a warming tent in place as some weekends it can get extremely cold. There is usually some type of entertainment in the tent and sometimes they even sell plum pudding.

Many of the local merchants get into the spirit of the festival. They wear costumes and put up displays like the one seen here.



Most of the shops are open on festival days and sell an array of interesting items.








One of the shops has a Santa where children can stop by to visit and have they're picture taken.





If you like you can even take a carriage ride.
On all of the main street corners fire pits have been set up so that visitors can warm they're hands. There are stacks of logs along side of these pits and everyone is invited to toss a log in if the fire starts to get low.

Periodically throughout the day performances are scheduled. This booth indicates what time the next show is set to begin.



Sometimes vendors come to sell they're wares.



















The day my hubby and I went to the festival we saw a rendition of 'A Christmas Carol.'

















Sometimes there are Christmas Carolers singing on the street corners. Other times, perhaps a Punch and Judy show, face painting, a cookie contest, and almost always roasted chestnuts are sold on the street. All of the people in the town are very warm and friendly. It's a nice place to spend an afternoon.
"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the past, the present, and the future. The Spirits of all Three strive within me. I will not shut out the lesson that they teach. Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone."
-A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens-
I hope all of you are having a good week!
With warmest regards, Carol

13 comments:

Eileen said...

Such a nice post! I would love to visit the Holly Dickens Festival! It sounds like something I would really enjoy, thanks so much for posting about it. And that hotel sounds like a place I'd like to stay too (although I am afraid of ghosts!), but I think it would be interesting to stay there. I love old buildings with a bit of history.

Have a great week!
Love to you,
Eileen

Madeline's Album said...

What a lovely post. What a quaint idea for a town to have at this time of year. I know I would certainly enjoy visiting a town like this. Have a blessed evening and enjoy the coming holiday. Madeline

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Carol... This is where my heart is.. What a beautiful little town.. Sounds like a great place to visit anytime of the year, but Christmas would be magic!
Thank you so much for sharing your visit.
Blessings,
Penny

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Carol... This is where my heart is.. What a beautiful little town.. Sounds like a great place to visit anytime of the year, but Christmas would be magic!
Thank you so much for sharing your visit.
Blessings,
Penny

Sue said...

What a wonderful place. As an avid Dickens fan, I wish I could visit, but will make do with your guided tour. Thank you for posting about this.
Sue

Vee said...

What a delightful town Holly is. I had such fun enlarging your photos for a better glimpse. This Santa is very impressive! He looks like a very kind spirit. Loved seeing all the costumes and reading about the events, foods, shops, etc. Just great!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

THIS is the place for me; when I spotted that mini theatre, I said, YES! I BELONG THERE!!! Darling town, wonderful tradition! HOW ARE YOU DEAREST? HOW IS THE DIVA DOING? Haven't seen much of her. Is she well? Anita

♥ Kathy said...

That looks like a wonderful place to visit Carol! I would enjoy a carriage ride & am intrigued by the hotel having a ghost!!

Valerie@travelingthrough2 said...

Hi Carol,
This is a festival that we would have loved, simple and charming!
Valerie

SmilingSally said...

What a delightful town Holly must be. I can just see you enjoying a cup of tea and a Christmas cookie!

The Muse said...

goodness how lucky you were to be able to visit such a sweet celebration~ truly the basics of the season came to light for me while reading your lovely post Ms Carol...
we visit willamsburg quite often and especially the Christmas season.
it too has the "feel"

hope all the family and Charli are well...

Just a little something from Judy said...

I much prefer quaint, little, historic towns like the one you visited. The Holly Dickens Festival is one I would visit if I lived closer. Your pictures make it all sound so interesting. Thanks for sharing it. Old buildings are so interesting to me.

Happy@Home said...

If I were still in Michigan I would make it a point to go. I love quaint little towns and also enjoy visiting their shops. We went to the Holly Hotel once for our anniversary many years ago.

Related Posts with Thumbnails