Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Jesse Tree......


A Jesse Tree....

First, and for most, I would like to thank all of you who have left comments here. I deeply appreciate all of your comments and I don't want you to think I've been a bad blogger. The truth of the matter is that my husband has been sick for over a week. In between the decorating, shopping, baking, and etc, I have been busy taking care of him. He is finally on the mend but now I'm not feeling well myself. As you can imagine this is not a good time of the year to be sick. Not that any time of the year is good but this month is especially hectic for everyone.

I have so many posts I wanted to share with you but now it seems I'm not going to be able to do it.

I did want to write something here about Elizabeth Edwards. I have always admired her courage, intellect, determination, class, and integrity. To lose a child has to be one of the most devastating experience in life. Then to have to take on the battle of your life, after being diagnosed with breast cancer, and face the public humiliation of your husbands affair is just inconceivable to me. Elizabeth could have easily given up so many times but instead she used all of these negative experiences to reach out and help others. She was an inspiration to us all! My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to her children. Elizabeth Edwards may you rest in peace. You were a truly remarkable woman....


I have been wanting to make a Jesse Tree for sometime now. I have been looking around the Internet to find some down loads to use but I didn't really find any that I liked. That was until I found these downloads at http://www.catholicartworks.com/catechist/the_jesse_tree.htm
I was referred to this site by another great site I recently found called Catholic Icing http://catholicicing.blogspot.com/ It is a blog with many wonderful holidays ideas. I hope you will stop by for a visit some time.



I like these downloads because they are large and you are given two choices as to how to use them. One of the down loads gives you a picture with the name of the person, or persons, and the other one gives a little blip about who they were, or why they were significant. I also like them because they are very colorful. I decided to down load both sheets on to card stock paper and then laminate them together so I can use either side. I lamented these a month ago and set them aside not really sure how I would use them. Then, when my hubby got down our Christmas tree, he decided to go through some things in our attic and found an old Christmas tree we had long forgotten about. It was perfect to use as my Jesse Tree!
I have always like the biblical story 'Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors' so I used it as my inspiration. I punched holes in each of the down loads and tied them with a different colored ribbon thus turning them each into an ornament. I used colored lights and stars on the tree as fillers. I also tied different colors of ribbon together and used it as garland.

















My Jesse Tree is very simply done but I think it's beautiful! Traditions can be old but sometimes they can also be new. My Jesse Tree is a new tradition, that God willing, I plan to use year after year.
With my hubby so sick, and now me not feeling well, Charli has been left to her own devices. She has not been happy about it at all and has been getting into so much trouble! I keep telling her if she isn't good St. Nicholas is not going to leave her anything on Christmas Eve. She just looks at me as if to say "ha!" Then she goes about her merry way.
It's hard to believe that Christmas is almost here!
I hope all of you are doing well and are having a wonderful week ♥
With warmest regards, Carol.

11 comments:

Vee said...

Awww, Carol, it's just not fair that you aren't feeling so well after doing all that loving care for your beloved. I hope that you'll be right as rain after a good night's rest. Do take care of yourself.

I appreciated what you had to say about Elizabeth Edwards. I, too, think that she was/is a remarkable person (even if I didn't always agree with her politics or her husband's.) Her story is truly inspirational. My mother has been taking special note of it all.

Remember now...none of us is going to get to do it all so get some rest. I do love the idea of a Jesse tree!

Madeline's Album said...

Glad to hear that your husband is feeling much better and I hope you will fell better soon. As you say it is terrible to be sick any time but at this time of year it is worse. Amen to what you said about Elizabeth Edwards. My heart goes out to her family. Your Jesse tree is adorable great idea. Thank you for your visit to my last post. Have a blessed evening and I pray you get to feeling better real soon. Madeline

Eileen said...

So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well, Carol, and that your husband too has been under the weather.
I wish you both a speedy recovery! It can take a lot of the joy out of this special time when you feel pressured to get things done rather than enjoying it all.
Your Jesse Tree is beautiful and I think I will do one next year! Thanks for sharing!

I was very sorry to hear about Elizabeth Edwards too, and wonder about her little ones left behind. I've been reading that she wanted her eldest daughter to raise the younger ones, and I guess I would feel the same way, but they do have a father, even if we do disapprove of his behavior.
Life is so complicated. I hope the children get to be with who would be best for them and where they feel most comfortable. I guess all we can do is pray.
I'm sure Elizabeth felt devastated about having to leave them, I hope the fact that she was reuniting with her older son gave her some solace.

Feel better.
I'll say a prayer.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen
PS ~ 'Hope Charli starts cooperating!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

YOU are such a beautiful soul, Carol. I have NEVER EVER heard of a Jesse tree! THANK YOU FOR THIS LOVELY INSPIRATION and yes, Elizabeth Edwards' courage and perseverance is an example to all. Peace and healing to you dearest, Anita

Lacy @ Catholic Icing said...

Looks so great! These are the ones I wanted to print, but my printer is still down :-/

MARIA said...

Merry Christmas my Dear Online Angel!

Michael said...

You really are an inspiration! I hope your husband is feeling better!

God Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carol,
Thank you for the post about the Jesse Tree. I had never heard of it before. I have downloaded the pictures and look forward to making my Jesse Tree with my grandson.
Christmas blessings to you and your husband.
Joyce

Ann Nichols said...

Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear that your husband has been so sick. It is one of the hardest things when our human "rock" - our dear husbands - are under the weather. So glad to hear that he is better now too.
Your tree is lovely - what a great idea.
I hadn't heard about Elizabeth Edwards... she was quite a lady and I am sorry to hear the news...
Many Blessings for healthy and happy days ahead!
Ann
PS Be sure to enter my GIVEAWAY when you have the time!

JG said...

Carol, glad your hubby is feeling better. Now, take it a bit slower so you also feel good. Get some rest so you can enjoy the season.
~Judy

Just a little something from Judy said...

Carol, I am so sorry! I can't imagine how the holidays must feel for you, with your husband and now you, not feeling well. My daughter went through this with her husband and all of her little ones, and it was such a difficult time. My prayers will be with you during this time.

I appreciate what you said about Elizabeth Edwards. What a lady!

Your Jesse tree is yet another one of your creative and meaningful ideas. Thank you for sharing it.

Best wishes dear friend!


YOu

Related Posts with Thumbnails