Thursday, August 25, 2011

When a sun room is not an option...

When a sun room is not an option....
I've always wanted one of those beautiful sun rooms you see when your out and about town. Some place to relax where you can enjoy being outside but not have to worry about the rain, the bugs, or strange animals that might be lurking about in the early morning or late at night.
Years ago my hubby and I decided we wanted to build a sun room. We had several different companies come out to look at our house but they all agreed we would have to cut into the roof because of the way our roof line was situated. Unfortunately all my hubby and I could think about was the multitude of problems associated with a decision like that, mainly a leaky roof some where down the line. In the long run we decided it just wasn't worth it to do it.
We decided instead of a sun room we would get a swing. With our swing we were still able to sit out in our yard and have the little bonfires that we enjoy but there was still the problem of bugs. Our yard is very deep and when Charli came along it became harder to sit out there. She always wanted to get down and explore under the bushes and shrubs. We found there were just to many critters  out there for Charli to chase. We didn't want her to get attacked, or heaven forbid, get rabies or some other type of disease.
Last year we decided to try one of those screened in canopies. We really loved it! We thought it might be just the solution for us but after several weeks we had a severe storm that caused it to smash into the house and break apart into pieces.
Last winter we started thinking about a gazebo. They are quite beautiful, and with the new materials they use to build them, we thought it was something that could serve us many years. We almost bought one, but when we thought about the price, and the fact, that we would have to drill into our patio to secure it, we weren't quite sure if it was something we really wanted to do.







One day I happened to be surfing the Internet and I saw an advertisement for a 'Fresh air Screen.' Well, we decided to give it a try. For us it's the perfect solution. It was cheap and easily rolls up and down to get cars in and out of the garage. The best thing about is we can sit outside night or day and not have to worry about bugs. It has become a nice place to read. I like looking out at our flowers and trees. It's a nice place to have a glass of wine or listen to the rain. We like to sit out there and light a bonfire early in the morning or late at night.
Charli loves it too! She was never a pooch that would lay out on the grass or on the cement for any length of time but she has taken some of the lawn furniture and made it her own. I think the screen has given her a renewed sense of security.
So there you have it. Our answer to the sun house option. It might not be every one's cup of tea but it is definitely working for us.
I hope all of you are having a nice day. We can sense fall in the air here in Michigan.
Have any of you been having problems writing your posts lately? My blogger is doing all kinds of weird things. It changes fonts, colors, and isn't allowing me to place my pictures where I want them to be.
Many blessings to all of you ♥

7 comments:

SissySees said...

So glad you found a great solution for you. We haven't yet... but we haven't really focused too hard on it either.

Madeline's Album said...

I am so glad you found what is a solution to your sun room problem. It looks very nice. We have a canopy with mesh sides that we can sit out any time of day or night no bugs. It is still hot here I am looking forward to fall but am still enjoying the summer in my pool. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Knitty said...

We had a Florida Room but eventually tore it down to build a permanent family room which has been more important to us, especially in a year round sense, but I do miss the FL room. We have as many windows as possible in the family room so that I could keep much of that outdoorsy feeling.

Our neighbors have had a Fresh Air Screen for years and love it.

Michael said...

Looks great!

God Bless!

JG said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to relax and enjoy the outdoors without the company of bugs! Watching the leaves float down in the fall is always fun.
~Judy

Eileen said...

I think your roll-up screen is a great idea!
It's been nice to catch up here with you. I've been away from blogging too and I didn't realize that you were posting again. It was fun to see pictures of Charli and to read about her antics! And it was nice to read your book reviews, I really want to read Sarah's Key (my friend Barbara was just talking to me about that book the other day), and I'd like to see the movie too. Also, The Help is another book I want to read and movie I'd like to see.
We've been doing lots of work around our house too and I'm going to try to post about it, maybe next week when Jayden is back in school full-time I'll have more time to load pictures (and YES! I've been having so much trouble with my blog posts too!).
'Hope you had a great summer!
Love to you,
Eileen

Margie said...

I am so pleased for you that your found the solution.Happy tea and reading.Big hugs, Margie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails