Tuesday, September 27, 2011

'Meet Me in Saint Louis'

'Meet Me In Saint Louis'
Recently my hubby and I had the opportunity to see the stage play 'Meet Me in Saint Louis' at the Baldwin Theater, in the city of Royal Oak, near our home. For me there is just no comparison between a movie and a stage production, especially with an orchestra. However, I do own that wonderful old movie 'Meet Me in Saint Louis' which starred Judy Garland. I have watched it many times and I wouldn't part with it for anything in the world. Wasn't Judy Garland great?
I really love period plays, films, and books. If I could somehow transport myself to a simpler time in history I would do it in a heart beat.
The minute I saw the trolley car roll across the stage at the Baldwin I knew I was hooked. Much to my hubby's dismay, because truthfully I can't sing, I've been walking around our house singing the songs featured in the play for days. I just can't seem to get the lyrics out of my head! Don't you just love those old lyrics like.....
"Meet me in st Louis, Louis,
Meet me at the fair.
Don't tell me the lights are shining
any place but there;
We will dance the Hoochee Koochee.
I will be your tootsie wootsie,
If you will meet me in St. Louis, Louis,
Meet me at the fair."
Oh what about this one....
"Clang, clang, clang
went the trolley
ding, ding, ding
went the bell
zing, zing, zing went my heart strings
from the moment
I saw him I fell"
I sigh just thinking about the play and all those wonderful old songs.
Oh dear! Where ever you are I hope you can't hear me singing LOL
I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the pictures that Stagecrafters posted on they're facebook home page. Thank you for sharing stagecrafters! We really enjoyed the play! The set and the costumes were absolutely wonderful!




Charli, of course, could not come to the play with us. She was a little disgruntled when we first got back home but belly rubs seem to always do the trick.
I hope all of you are having a great week!
With warmest regards, Carol
"The day was bright
the air was sweet
the smell of honeysuckle
charmed me off my feet
I tried to sing
but couldn't squeak
in fact, I felt so good
I couldn't even speak
Clang, clang, clang went the trolley"

6 comments:

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Hi!!! Hope all is well in your blogging world! Love the pictures of the musical. Would love to go see one! I've been to a few Broadway musicals "back in the day" of living in the city. I'm hoping we can get to go see a Christmas musical somewhere close to home this year! Enjoy your day!

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, You hit on one of my favorite movies. I have always loved Judy Garland. I know you enjoyed the musical. Oh yes, I like your Halloween header. Give Charli a belly rub for me. Have a blessed evening. It is so good to have you blogging again. Madeline

SissySees said...

Love me a musical. Clang, clang, clang... Sigh. Off to see what's coming to a stage near me soon!

Eileen said...

I love musicals (and 'Meet Me In St. Louis' is one of my favorites)! And I love the theater! Thanks so much for sharing this, Carol!
Love to you,
Eileen

JG said...

What a great step back in time! Musicals are full of energy and so fun to see. You are still enjoying it! :)
~Judy

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Carol, how exciting... I love the stage... Could not get enough of them when my children were in plays at school... I have a community theater in Temecula that is very close that I really enjoy.. If I could, I would go more often.. I agree with you, there is just no comparison. What fun!
Give Charli a hug!
Blessings,
Penny

Related Posts with Thumbnails