Sunday, November 6, 2011

Giving Thanks!

Giving Thanks!
In these trying times we are living in it's even more important than ever to give thanks for all of the blessings we have in our lives. It's something I have learned to do many years ago. Every day, though out the year, I look for something to be thankful for. I do it even on my most busiest and difficult days. It really has changed my outlook and helped me put my life in perspective.
I especially like the month of November because it's been designated a 'Give Thanks and Gratitude' month. It seems like more and more people are doing just that. They are sending little thank you cards to family and friends. They are writing daily thankful posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Blogs. They are even leaving notes in lunch boxes and sending e-mails. It has all helped to make the month of November stand out as a very joyful and loving month indeed. Don't you just love reading those posts or being the recipient of one of those notes? I know I sure do!
We have really been enjoying our thankful tree. It makes us happy! It's very colorful and uplifting. When the sunlight hits the leaves in the house they seem to have a warm and beautiful glow like the leaves outside. I love bringing a little bit of autumn into the house. I also enjoy stopping by my tree and pausing to read our notes. My hubby likes our tree too. He told me the other day he finds it very cheery. And that when I hadn't even asked him what he thought of it yet.
Our thankful tree was very simple to make. First, Charli, my hubby, and myself went out into the woods to collect the branches. Then I sprayed the branches with shellac. I purchased styrofoam and three different types of pre-cut leaves from one of our local craft stores. Some of the leaves have glitter, others are made out of a sort of parchment material, and still others are cut out of colored card stock. My hubby and I made thankful labels, placed them on some of the leaves, and then I wired all of the leaves onto the tree. I stuffed the vase with orange tissue paper in order to hide the styrofoam. Then I printed out a Thanksgiving Day card and attached it near the bottom of the vase.
The tree will eventually be used as a centerpiece on our long serving table on Thanksgiving day. I think it will look very pretty surrounded with tea lights, and of course, delicious food.
What about you? Do you do anything special to give thanks in the month of November? If so, I would love to hear from you.
I'm thankful for our blog land and for all of you♥
I hope all of you have a wonderful and blessed week!
Well, I'm of to take our grandson Ryan on a very special date. Poor little Charli! She has to stay home. "Oh now Charli don't pout. You will be fine."
With warmest regards, Carol






10 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I absolutely love this idea, Carol. Not only is it cute, it's so meaningful!

I'm afraid I don't have any special traditions for November, but I am SO grateful the Lord has blessed us in so many ways. For the last three years, we always look forward in November to a visit in St. Augusutine from our godchildren. They come with their fourth grade classes for Florida History. It's a lot of fun, and they will be here next week. It's Cecelia's turn, and then her brother and father and grandfather will come to visit for the weekend. It will be Cecelia, her mom, and yours truly for three days. Can't wait. I'm very grateful for that.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, Your thankful tree is a cute idea. I am going to have to steal the idea from you. As you know I have much to be thankful for not only this month but every month. I like your new header. Have a blessed day and great weekend. Madeline

Walking on Sunshine... said...

I love your Thankful Tree! Reminds me of something i use to do with my kids when they were younger. Hope you had a nice weekend!

Paula said...

I loved the Thankful tree idea. Might have to steal it :) I have much to be thankful for and sometimes I forget that when I focus on the problems in my life. Thanks for your perspective and helping me find mine!

SissySees said...

What a cute, great idea! I'm thankful for my bloggy friends too.

JG said...

This is a very nice post, Carol! I am so thankful that we and our friends and neighbors did o.k. during/after the Halloween nor'easter.
~Judy

Marina said...

I like your thankful tree and the blog very much!!! It's so cute and interesting. Now doubt i'm going to be the follower of your blog :-)

Marina said...

I mean NO doubt

Vee said...

Sweet idea, Carol, and using it for the centerpiece will be wonderful. I must do this one year because I think that the grands would enjoy it.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

CAROL!!! How lovely to see you tonight at my blog post! I see you are back blogging? I know that you had stopped a while back, and I was really sad to see you go! You are so right here...you have reminded me about staying grateful for what we have, and in these times especially, it IS so important to keep positive and be an example of God's gift. How are you eyes now? How is little Charli these days? SOOOOO GOOD TO SEE YOU CAROL!! Anita

Related Posts with Thumbnails