Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Historical Wilcott Mill

The Historical Wilcott Mill
My hubby, our grandson Ryan, and myself recently went out to Wilcott Mill to spend the afternoon. Wilcott Mill is such a beautiful place with it's many trails and park like atmosphere. It's a wonderful place to relax and have a picnic. I have written about Wilcott Mill here in the past so I won't go into further detail at this time.
On the particular day we visited the park recently they were having civil war reenactment's on the grounds. I have provided a link here in case you would like to take a peek.
Camps were set up all over the park, some civilian and others military. People camp in the park once a year for the entire weekend. They dress in period clothing and try to give everyone a glimpse of what it was like to live during that period in time.  You can visit with them as they go about their daily business of washing and mending clothes, cooking on open fires, and making candles. It is quite interesting to be able to step back in time and learn a little bit about the history of our country.
The children are all given an American Civil War activity book which includes questions to ask in the camps. Several questions included were as follows; you might ask a union soldier what the name of the hats they wore were or you could ask a confederate soldier what the name of General R.E. Lee's famous horse was.
It was really a fun way to spend an afternoon. Wilcott Mill has all kinds of wonderful family activities through out the year and we do try to take advantage of them.
And where was Charli while we were having such a nice afternoon you might ask? She was home alone. Last year we took her with us but we had to leave because she was afraid of the guns. This year we decided it was best to leave her home and after a few extra treats all was forgiven.
I imagine like me you are getting ready for Thanksgiving. I spend the morning making my Aunt Rose's date and nut bread. All of the chocolate turkey's are waiting to be placed on each of our grandchildren's plates. This weekend I will begin setting up the tables.
What ever you are doing I hope you are having a wonderful week.
Many blessing are being sent your way ♥
With warmest regards, Carol














9 comments:

SissySees said...

Looks lovely! Thanks for sharing your beautiful day with us.

George the Lad said...

Oh your back blogging, so good to read your posts again, hope Charlie is well we have missed you, look at the blue sky you have, its dull and cold over here.
Have a good week
See Yea George xxx

Vee said...

I have that recipe in my book. I should make it because I have all those opened dates! Hmmm...

What a lovely afternoon to be on a tour of Wilcott Mill. Living history museums are so cool!

JG said...

Learning more about our history is just wonderful! Every May during "Long Meddowe Days" the 9th Battery MA Volunteers have a Civil War Encampment for that weekend on our town green. Living History is great!

~Judy

Madeline's Album said...

You had a very nice day for your outing. It is enjoyable to go back into time and experience how it was back then. I too am gathering all my items for Thanksgiving dinner. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Sandy said...

I love visiting here and "going" with you on your travels through the lovely pictures you post! XXOO

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Carol
I too, have such fun traveling along with you.. Such wonderful places you visit.. Give Charli a big hug for me..
Blessings, Penny

Michael said...

I enjoyed the pictures! Thanks for sharing! And good luck with the preparations this week!

God Bless you!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Carol
Thank you so much for wandering over to meet the princess and the mouse.. What a nice thing to say Carol.. Thank you. So happy you enjoyed. Oh yes, I love that song too... It is cheerful... I enjoy visiting with you... and of course Charli... She is such a sweetheart. Blessings, Penny

Related Posts with Thumbnails