Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving celebrations have certainly come along way from the way they were in the beginning. Instead of having huge community meals most people will be having more intimate dinners with family and friends.
 In the early years of our marriage it was quite chaotic as we would go to my husbands parents in the afternoon and then to my parents in the evening. On Friday we would always make another Thanksgiving dinner for ourselves, our son's, and sometimes our family or friends. When we reminisce about those times my hubby and I wonder how we were able to do all of those things in such a short period of time, but oh what we wouldn't give to have those days back again.
For those of you who have followed this blog you know my house is small. Unfortunately I don't have one of those huge dinning rooms where you can have a table that will seat twelve or fourteen people. Therefore, more likely than not, our Thanksgiving celebrations have been shared down stairs in our basement. I honestly think it works out just as well though. Years ago, over time, we purchased three card tables with chairs and one rectangular serving table. I have a collection of matching linen tablecloths in different holidays motifs. I like to decorate the room with homemade banners, crafts and other seasonal items. This year my centerpieces will be the thankful tree I shared previously here and two evergreen trees I found at a local craft store. They are very small and inexpensive. I added orange ribbons to the bases and I may just switch out to red ribbons and use the same little trees for Christmas.
One of our family traditions is to place a chocolate turkey on each of our grand children's plates. Do you have any Thanksgiving traditions that you would like to share?
The one table I haven't shown, as it is not set up yet, is the one that will have a punch bowel as the centerpiece. It actually consists of two bowls. One is flipped upside down and the other one sits on top of it. I will place a large orange bow in the middle where the two bowls meet.
Charli has been waiting patiently for Thanksgiving to come. She knows she will get some turkey and also get to see Peeper and Sophie our other grand dogs. In addition to our children and grandchildren, all of the family dogs come to our celebrations and we wouldn't have it any other way.
Well there you have a peek at our Thanksgiving. There are still some last minute things to do but I think I have everything pretty much under control. This year I will try making the mashed potatoes ahead of time and then put them in a crock pot to keep warm. Has anyone ever done this? I'm a little leary about trying it.
I would like to take this time to wish all of you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I hope your day is wonderful and blessed in every way possible ♥
Oh my gosh! In another week we will be putting up our Christmas tree! Where has the time gone.
Take care my friends ♥
With warmest regards, Carol















9 comments:

Marina said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, Your decorations are just adorable. I will have eleven here for Thanksgiving a smaller crowd then what I usually have. I have all my ingredients ready and have told my daughters and daughter-in-law what to bring. I have much to be thankful for so I will enjoy every minute of the day. I am ready to put out my Christmas decorations but will wait until after Thanksgiving. Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving. Madeline

SissySees said...

Beautiful decorations! I think the who is much more important than the where, and I'm sure with the fabulous food and wonderful decor, your guests feel very special indeed!

Vee said...

So pretty your decorations! I did try the make ahead mashed potatoes and went back to the usual way the following year. I wasn't fond of their texture as I recall. This year I'm trying squash made in the crockpot. We'll see. It's so nice that you have a place where your family can gather and be together. That's the most important thing! (My daughter-in-law might scalp me if I put any chocolate on the grands' plates. They are not the greatest eaters on the planet. I'm not even going to put milk on the table. They'll have to eat and then enjoy their milk with dessert, if they get that far. Oh I do hope that they do!)

Judi said...

Happy Thanksgiving Carol. It looks like you are getting set up already and have everything under control. I know what its like to have more people than more room. I have to do the same thing with a card table to add in for seating. you've set the tables so pretty. I love your Charli and the scarecrow...so cute!
Happy Thanksgiving...we have so much to be grateful for
Blessings.
Judi

JG said...

Such colorful festive decorations, Carol!

It's a tradition, here, that my younger son takes charge of the Garlic Mashed Potatoes + gravy on Thanksgiving. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family!
~Judy

Just a little something from Judy said...

Hearing from you, whenever it is, is so good! You and Charli will always be my special blogging friends, and even though I do not have as much time to visit blogs as I used to, I find it so inspiring and fun to visit you. Your Thanksgiving decorations are so creatively done and look quite festive. I wish you, Charli, and your family, an enjoyable time together. Happy Thanksgiving!

Oh, and I have often made mashed potatoes and put them in my crock pot on low. It works beautifully! My good friend recommended it to me, and I am affirming that it does work, to you.

Barb's Tea Shop said...

Happy Thanksgiving and your tablescapes look wonderful and so festive! So happy for your visit and glad to see you are back to blogging more regularly.
Have a wonderful holiday with your family and I'll be back to get more great info and inspiration from you and Charlie!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Carol, my sweet, sweet Carol!!!!! I love this time of year, and as you remember your earlier marriage days, I remember mine as well....having TWO or even THREE homes to visit was always a challenge! Now we are far away from any family that is left and we are alone. But memories are with us always. LOOK AT CHARLIE!!!!!!!!! WHAT A PRETTY LITTLE GIRL SHE IS!!! Oh Carol, thank you for coming to visit with me! I wish you blessings of love with everyone. BISOUS! Anita

Related Posts with Thumbnails