Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Aong came my Christmas spiders!....

Along came my Christmas spiders!.....
Last year about this time I received a news letter that happened to mention Christmas spiders. I had never heard of Christmas spiders so I decided to google them in order to see what they were all about. I found out that there is a very old Christmas legend regarding the spider that originated in Europe. Actually, I found several variations of the legend but the one I liked best can be found here. http://kraftmstr.com/christmas/books/spider.html
The story of the Christmas spider very much touched my heart and when I shared it with my family last Christmas Eve it touched they're hearts as well.
I had a spider left over from Halloween that I placed on my tree last year but I wondered if anyone had ever actually made a Christmas spider ornament. I found out there are many variations of the Christmas spider and several U Tube instruction videos on how to make them. I looked at all of the videos and then came up with my design. 
 My spiders sit on the branches of the Christmas tree rather then hang. They can be used on wreaths as in the photo below and you can add a ribbon to them as in the photo above. They can be used as tea party favors or given as gifts.They were very easy to make and every one of them is unique in it's own way. After I finished making my spiders I packaged them making sure to tuck a copy of the legend inside.They have been a huge hit with my family and friends!
Well my spiders have now found new homes, the Christmas tree is up, Christmas cards, addressed, and the presents wrapped. I'm in the process of making my Christmas poppers now and then I will start baking next week.
What have you been up to? Are you all set for Christmas or do you still have a lot to do?
I hope all of you are having a great week! Charli is sending "woof, woofs" your way ♥
Take care my friends!
With warmest regards, Carol











8 comments:

fiberdoodles said...

I have never heard of this before. Thank you for sharing.

Merry Christmas!
Sharon & Max

Vee said...

I have heard of this before and I think it may have been you who introduced me to this story. Hope that your Christmas preps are going beautifully. I am enjoying listening to Bing this morning!

Madeline's Album said...

Thanks for sharing this with us I had never heard of the Christmas spider legend, I found it very interesting. Your spiders are just adorable. I have my gifts wrapped, packages mailed off and also my Christmas cards. Most of my baking is done (gingerbread cookies and pumpkin bread) that I give as gifts. I will be able to enjoy the holidays knowing I have got all that needs to be done finished. I like your Christmas header. Give Charli and hug from me. Have a blessed day. Madeline

SissySees said...

Oh goodness... after reading your post and the story of the spiders, I might have to find/make one/some for my MIL. She LOVES tinsel and will adore the legend!

Eileen said...

This is so sweet!
And I think all your spiders look beautiful!
I will have to try this next year.

I love all these sweet folklore traditions! I just heard one today about the candy cane representing St. Joseph's staff and/or the crook of the shepherd's cane.

Thanks for sharing this!
Enjoy the Season!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Knitty said...

That is a lovely legend. I do think that all spiders should now be pretty, beaded ones though, just as I think all snowflakes should melt when they hit pavement or blacktop.

BTW, we still get a real tree and put tinsel on it every year. That is one thing I would miss if hubby ever weakens and agrees to an artificial tree.

bj said...

The spiders are so cute.
hugs...
O, and several bloggers have made the ginger cookies and love them...give 'em a try, girl...they are so easy, so cute and so good. :))

Michael said...

Thanks for sharing this and all your festivities!

Hope you are having a great Advent!

God Bless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails