Saturday, December 17, 2011

Handel's 'Messiah'.....

Handel's 'Messiah'....
Recently my hubby and I had the opportunity to visit the Fort Street Presbyterian Church in Detroit to hear 'Messiah' performed by the Fort Street Chorale and Chamber Orchestra. 'Messiah' has been a holiday tradition there for the past thirty three years. It was very inspiring and something we thoroughly enjoyed.
The Fort Street Chorale has been featured on public television in the past and they were absolutely amazing. There is something very special about listening to a moving concert in a church with all of it's wonderful acoustics.
The church it's self was strikingly beautiful! It was a very old historical church that was built in the 1800's. It survived a fire in 1896 and then again in 1914. The ceilings were rich with wood carvings and intricate designs. It had gorgeous stain glass windows, black walnut pews, and a crescent gallery which is where we sat. It was absolutely breathtaking!
I enjoy visiting churches and especially during the Christmas season when they are all decked out in there holiday finery. This church certainly did not disappoint. There were rows of gorgeous red poinsettia's with beautifully lit wreaths strategically placed in the front and back of the church. I don't think the pictures here do it justice.
As I listened to this concert, I looked around this church, and I was truly amazed. I couldn't help but think what it must have been like for the people years ago who heard 'Messiah' for the very first time. Unfortunately, because we live in such a fast paced and modern world, I think we sometimes miss out on experiences and events such as these. The people of the 1800's must have been overwhelmed and moved by they're experience even more so than my husband and I if that were even possible.
We also had the added bonus of seeing our sister-in-law Karen and her aunt who happens to be a member of the chorale. She told us she has been singing with the Fort Street Chorale since she was a young girl in high school. It was so nice to be able to say hello to her and let her know how much we enjoyed the concert.
It's hard to believe that Christmas is only a few days away! I have read your lovely posts, enjoyed seeing your beautiful Christmas decorations, experienced some of your wonderful recipes, and loved hearing about your family traditions, travels, and special events. You spread such joy and happiness to our world ♥ Thank you so much for sharing and making my Advent season so special.
With warmest regards, Carol








10 comments:

Madeline's Album said...

What a beautiful post. It was like I was there with you. The church is magnificent so pretty in all its holiday decorations. I truly enjoyed your narration. Have a blessed day. Madeline

SissySees said...

What a beautiful church! I miss being part of a choir preparing for a Christmas concert of some sort....

fiberdoodles said...

What a beautiful Church! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I too love to visit Churches and admire all the beautiful architectural details. Lovely post!

Knitty said...

Did you have goosebumps? If you ever have a chance to do a tour of historical churches in Detroit, you will love it. So many are locked during the week and you'd never see the insides without a tour, plus you'll get a little history that will be interesting.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Jackie said...

Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos. The church is truly beautiful. It must really be breathtaking to see in person.

Anonymous said...

Very beautifully decorated church and the architecture is very very nice. So glad you shared the photo's!!! My mother & I went to a neighboring town last Christmas to see Handel's Messiah and it gives you the true meaning of the Christmas Season, we enjoyed the choir and the live orchestra also! Merry Christmas Carol!
Karyl

Vee said...

So enjoyed reading this and seeing your beautiful pictures. I couldn't help but enlarge some. This piece of music is so incredible that it will forever stand the test of time. It is awesome!

Eileen said...

Oh, this is the second post I've read today that mentioned 'Handel's Messiah', and now I'm very much in the mood for listening to it!

Beautiful photos! Beautiful Church! I love the detail! I love visiting churches too, from the simplest wooden structure to great stone cathedrals!

Thanks so much for sharing this and for sharing so many of your own wonderful ideas and traditions! I actually took one of your ideas from a post last year and used it at Ray's family Christmas party this past weekend. I set up a 'candy station' and it was a BIG hit!

I hope you are enjoying a very Blessed Season!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

JG said...

This is so beautiful - the music, the photos and the warm thoughts!

It's fascinating to learn how individuals lived years ago. Carol, you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!
~Judy

Margie said...

Merry Christmas, big hugs, Margie.x

Related Posts with Thumbnails