Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tuscan Style Vegetable Soup

TUSCAN STYLE VEGETABLE SOUP
A couple of months ago I was surfing the net and came upon a blog that had posted this very delicious soup recipe.
I profoundly apologise because for some reason I didn't write down the name of the blog. The blog owner, where I found the soup recipe, wrote that she had originally gotten it from food tv.com. She said she had tweaked it slightly to her liking. I did the same thing and as a result this recipe is slightly different from the original two. However, if you posted this recipe on your blog please let me know in the comment section. I will be happy to add the name of your blog here. Again, I truly apologize.
I have served this vegetable soup several times now and it's been a hit with everyone! I can't tell you how many times I have been asked for the recipe.
My recipe calls for KG's Slap and Tickle. Unfortunately it cannot be found in any stores or web sites as of yet. Our son Kurt, who loves to cook, developed it. He is in the process of starting a little side business selling his rub. He originally developed the rub to put on meat but it's so good that we actually use it as a seasoning for just about everything. Kurt has given his rub to a few select family members and friends to try and so far everyone seems to like it. I posted a picture of the bottle and label he designed here in case you ever see it in the grocery store and would like to try it. We we are very proud of Kurt for taking the initiative to develop the rub from his passion for cooking. Hence, the little plug here :>)
Now it's on to the recipe.......
1 and 1/2 (15-ounce can) low sodium cannelloni beans drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 large sweet onion diced
3 stalks celery diced
1 yellow zucchini diced
2-3 carrots diced
1-1/2 cup cabbage (I use the pre-shredded)
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon KG's Slap and Tickle (Or another bottle of the mixed seasoning of your choice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
32 oz box of chicken or vegetable broth (I use chicken broth)
1 large tomato or two small tomatoes diced (The tomato really adds flavor so don't skimp here)
2 to 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
(olive oil to drizzle on soup when served. Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on soup if desired. I also serve the soup with chucks of warm bakery or home made bread. I make small plates of extra virgin olive oil and Italian herbs to dip the bread into.)
Directions:
Heat the oil in a large soup pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, cabbage, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the butter.
Then add the broth and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Add the cannelloni beans and the spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
add the Parmesan cheese.
Charli loves this soup! I add a little of the broth and a few small chucks of bread to her dry dog food and she eats it right up. She especially loves the smells in the house as the soup is cooking. Yep, you will find her sitting on the kitchen rug on those days hoping a little crumb or something will fall her way.
If you try this soup I hope you like it as much as our family does. The soup also makes a nice base for adding other ingredients like sausage, shrimp and chicken.
With warmest regards, Carol




10 comments:

Paula said...

I absolutely love the name "slap and tickle" Good luck to your son with his business. The soup looks awesome.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

The soup looks really good and like something we would enjoy! Hope your son does well with his new adventure! Enjoy!

Vee said...

First off, when I see your son's "Slap and Tickle," I'm buying it!

This soup certainly looks pretty! If looks are any indication, it must be tasty.

Eileen said...

This soup looks and sounds delicious! And congratulations to your son! I hope everything works out for the best!
I love those types of seasonings and use them often in recipes, please let me know when/if it becomes available. (I have used Emeril's beef seasoning and his turkey rub for many other dishes too! Also a Camp Mix a friend of mine found while surfing the web. I've even used them in deviled eggs.)

I enjoyed your book review from the last post, thank you for sharing that and this recipe.
And thank you for your kind comments to me.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Madeline's Album said...

The soup looks great. Good luck to your son on his business venture I wish him much success. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. Have a blessed day. Madeline

SmilingSally said...

Hi Carol,

This is the perfect time of year for a hearty bowl of soup.

Have a great week.

Sally

JG said...

Yummy looking soup! After listening to our weatherman, this soup will be perfect in the next two days.

I like the name "Slap and Tickle"! It sure is catchy!
~Judy

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

What a great name! Slap and tickle! Love it.. Wishing your son the best...
The soup looks delicious Carol!
Blessings,
Penny

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

CAROL AND CHARLI!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU TWO AGAIN!!!! What a treat; George and Tess also posted again after a short break and it sure is good to see you all! Oooooo, this soup looks a lot like something I made last week too, with white beans! It is cold here, finally, after a "warm" winter in Minnesota.

Oh dearest, how have you been? YOUR EYES, are they better now? I wish you and SWEET CHARLI a wonderful SPRING-TIME! Oh, it really is good to see that you are blogging again! Thank you for visiting my bunnies! Anita

Michael said...

Soup looks great!

Hope you are having a blessed Lent!

God Bless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails