Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Do you have a herb garden?

Do you have a herb garden?
I have to say, that although my mother was a great cook, she never used a lot of herbs in her cooking. She was more of a basic kind of cook. We usually could tell what was going to be on the table by what day of the week it was.
After I married I started using more spices and herbs in my cooking. Then approximately ten years ago I began using fresh herbs.
One of the problems with using fresh herbs, at least for me, is finding them. We have several stores that carry them but on any given day they might not have the ones I need in stock. Then there is always the problem of storing them. I do keep them in seal tight containers, but as you know, if they are not used in a given amount of time they go to waste.
I've always wanted a herb garden but I have heard stories about how the herbs will take over your entire yard if left unattended.
This year I had the bright idea of making a small herb garden in my kitchen window. I went to my local nursery and purchased the herbs I thought I would use the most. I potted them and placed them on the shelves in my window. I have to say they looked very nice for several days. Then I noticed tiny little yellow gnat's of some sort in the window and flitting about the plants. I thought that would be the end of my herb gardening days forever.
In the end I decided to replant the herbs in a couple of containers I had stored in the garage. (Funny thing I haven't noticed any more gnats) I found a little frog and used one of the rocks I got in Petoskey last year to dress up the planter. I also added some wood chips to keep down any weeds that might decide to stop by for a visit. I must say my little garden is thriving. The plants have already doubled in size.
The only problem I see as of now is that of our inquisitive little hound Charli. She loves mint! I like to put it in her water bowl to keep her breath nice and fresh. I have already caught her several times sniffing at the mint in the planter. As soon as I give out a holler she runs away from the plants but time will tell if her curiosity will win out over her listening skills.
The herbs I have chosen for my garden are oregano, lemon thyme, sage, rosemary, mint, and basil. Even though it is still quite early in the year for planting I have been able to store them in our garage at night and bring them outside during the day light hours.
Best of all is that I have already been using my herbs! Last night my hubby and I had a salad with fresh basil, oregano, and thyme in it. It was sooo good! I'm looking forward to making a lot of sun tea this summer with mint and raspberries in it. Oops, I'll have to go to the store for those raspberries though.
How about you? Do you like to use fresh herbs in your cooking? Do you buy them or do you have a herb garden of your own?
I hope you are all having a wonderful week. The sun is shining here and I have been working out in the yard a little bit this morning.
My heart and prayers goes out to all of those who have been affected by these deadly tornado's we have been having.
Take care my friends ♥
With warmest regards, Carol




14 comments:

SissySees said...

We had fresh mint on one side of the house growing up. I love it, but so do the dogs. Hem. I've tried to have cilantro in the kitchen window, but it isn't happy there.

JG said...

Your herb garden looks so nice! Last week I purchased Parsley seeds to plant in the perennial flower garden near my Chives. The Chives come back each year and taste so good! Now, every year I will add another herb from seeds and learn how well they will grow.
~Judy

Vee said...

Yes, I can't wait for my herb garden to be back up and at'em. I'm looking for a planter like yours that will be self-watering and go on the railing of my deck. It makes it so easy to run out the door and grab what I need. The chives are already up and we have enjoyed them in salads already.

Madeline's Album said...

Your herb garden in the planters looks great. Enjoy them in your cooking. I have a rosemary bush growing in my yard and I use it quite often. Have a blessed day. Madeline

baju muslim said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..

George The Lad said...

Mom use's rosemary,mint and sage
Rosemary for lamb and roasted veg
Mint to put in new pototoes and sage for her home made liver pate we get to taste some of that to. This year she's hoping to grow some veg and herbs, will blog about it if any grow!!!
Please give a hug to Charli from us
Have a good week
See yea George xxx

bj said...

I have a couple of planters just like these...never one time gave a thought to planting herbs in them. But, with your inspiration, now I might just do that.
xo bj
I think it's adorable that Charlie loves mint. :))
oops, do you know you have word verification on? just sayin'...:))

Michael said...

I have to admit, I try but often fail. Glad yours seem to be doing well!

God Bless!

Phil said...

Hi,
I'd like to inquire about doing a sponsored blog post - about 150-300 words that talks a little bit about Immigration Visas and links back to our site http://rapidvisa.com. We are a immigration visa company and thought we might be a good fit for your readers/visitors on http://charliandme.blogspot.com

Here's a list of some blog post titles we've done in the past:
- How to Get Your Marriage Visa
- Things To Know Before Applying For Your Immigration Visa
- How to Get Help With Your Immigration Process

Our budget is around $15 for the post. Is this something you'd be open to?

Also we might be interested in a small banner ad if the price is right.
Our budget is $40/year - something like this:
http://postimage.org/image/hfhj9bjc7/

Let me know if you'd be open to either or both of these.

Also if you have some other sites just send them over and we might be interested in doing a sponsored post on there as well!

Regards,

Phil
rapidvisa@thebirdmail.com

Eileen said...

I like your herb garden! I've had little window box ones, and a few years ago my husband planted mint in the side yard (and the mint DID take over!), but your planters have inspired me to do the same. I love using fresh herbs when I cook, and they are hard to find, or I buy them but don't use them right away and they aren't really fresh anymore. It's so much easier to have them at hand when you have a need for them.

I laughed when you wrote that your Mom cooked the same meal each day of the week because my husband just said yesterday that when he was growing up he knew EXACTLY what they would be eating each day of the week because his Mom had a routine that she stuck to.
I'm more like my own Mom, I see what I feel like eating that day and that's what I cook!

Give Charli a hug for me!
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Carol
I had left a note for you here when you made this post, but It is not here.. I saw your other post on what I thought was your blog.. Oh dear, I am so confused.
Will this blog here be going away?
I am sorry to hear about all this.
Your herb garden planters are just wonderful!
Give Charli a kiss for me.
Blessings,
Penny

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Thought I would drop in and say hello to you and Charli.. I hope your herb garden is doing well.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
Blessings to you Carol.
Penny

Katelin Mccaig said...

You’ve got a nice collection of herbs there! Not only are they great for cooking, they’ve got medicinal benefits too. Thyme, for example, as a member of the mints family, has properties that can cure whooping cough, and it’s also great for aromatherapy. Rosemary is known to aid many ailments, from asthma to depression, and when used in tincture can even relieve sprains and rheumatism. So what you’ve got there isn’t just a great herb garden, but also your own mini-pharmacy!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

It was so good to see you had come for a visit Carol. Thanks so much.
I am happy to hear all is well.
It would be wonderful if you could start a new blog..
blessings,
Penny

Related Posts with Thumbnails